resting too much?

1. gammerus Well Known Member Member

I went to petco today and found a fairly young male betta who seemed to be pretty sickly. he kept balancing on his tail because he seems to have trouble swimming. I bought him and put him in a 1 gal tank. because of his inability to swim he had to struggle to breach the water for air. since I have lowered the water to about 3inches high so he wont have to try so hard to get air.

I got him because, based on how the other dead bettas (about 3) I didn't think he would get much care there. I wan't to make sure he is getting better care here, so it would be great if anyone has any suggestions on what would help him get healthier.

2. gammerus Well Known Member Member

well I've narrowed it down and I'm positive its a bladder disease, now I just need to know precisly what to do to treat him.

3. gammerus Well Known Member Member

Re: betta not swimming well

well I've narrowed it down and I'm positive its a bladder disease, now I just need to know precisly what to do to treat him.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Give him a little mashed green pea to eat about every third day and a good quality food the days in between. Don't over feed him. Hopefully that will help.
    Carol

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Re: betta not swimming well

gammerus this is a duplicate post. if you could please post in one place you will get more looks at your posts and answers in one place. Thanks
    Carol

6. gammerus Well Known Member Member

does it matter if the pea is frozen or not?

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Make sure the pea is thawed and peel the skin off and squish out the insides. Also, make sure your water stays very clean. With that small amount of water, you will have to do frequent water changes, probably every day. Hope he gets better!

8. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

how do you pull skin off a pea?

9. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Just slit the pea and squeeze the stuff out. ;)

10. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

if you get frozen peas from the store and put one in the microwave on a saucer for 30 seconds and the skin will be easy to take off. then take 2 or 3 tiny pieces about half the size of his eye and give one at a time with the tip of a plastic spoon. he should finish eating one before you offer another or he won't get them, because if he cannot get them at the top of the tank, he won't chase them. do this at least 2 or 3 times a week with him having swim bladder disease already. he will always be prone to it now that he has had it so the pea routine should always be continued. Also be very careful not to overfeed him. Not more than 6 or 7 bloodworms twice a day or if you are feeding small pellets not more than 3 twice a day. Bettas do not like variety in their diet. When they find something they like usually they will not change without a war going on, so what ever he will eat let him eat it only in very small doses twice a day.

hope this helps.

Rose
    :)

11. gammerus Well Known Member Member

well he seems fine now, swimming around when he feels like it and resting in the plants when he doesn't. I will keep in mind to give him a few peas here and there. He seems to have aquired a taste for them.

12. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Noel loves them, Marty won't touch them. I intend to get Misty started on them as soon as I can. I give Noel a little bit about every other day. Azul (my first betta) went through a time when he was sick where all he would eat was peas, but don't ever let them get by with that. I was a very new and ignorant fish owner when I let him start his vegetarian life style.

They really need to have their "greens" to keep their digestive systems working properly. Since they really cannot eat the veggie disks or such, peas cut in little pellets are perfect.

I am so glad your betta likes them.

Rose
    :)