Restart Tank After Betta Death?

1. C

Clarkeeev New Member Member

Hi guys I've literally just joined this site a few minutes ago and I'm not overly sure how it works so if I've posted this in the wrong place I apologise in advance. I got my first 25litre tank 6 weeks ago with a few live plants I got given from a friend. With the advice of an experienced friend I got my tank set up with a filter and heater and got it cycling for 10 or so days and tested it before I purchased a beautiful red dragon betta. The betta was fine for 2 weeks, seemed extremely happy and healthy so I then added in 2 amano shrimp which both settled in perfectly with the Betta. 6 days ago I was in my local fish store and with the advice of one of the workers he said a school of neon tetras would go fine with the betta so I purchased them. A day or so passed before I noticed the neon tetras were absolutely covered in white spot, and my betta had a few so I went out and bought white spot treatment and followed the instructions on the bottle. Since then the neons seem to be fully cured and I have moved them to my friends tank as I think they were stressing the betta out really bad. Unfortunately I came home today to find my betta has passed away and I am a lot more heartbroken than I thought I would be. Now I just have my two Amano shrimp and I don't really know what to do from here. I want to get another betta and keep him by himself this time because I don't want to have to go through this again. Should I do a 100% water change and start fresh? Any advice is appreciated. Sorry if I seem like a newbie, it's cus I am!!

2. Tiffany_e97

Tiffany_e97 Valued Member Member

In this situation the answer is very simple. Ich without a host will die off. Crank your heater up to 85+degrees (not sure what that is in celcius) and wait about two weeks. During this time it's important to be doing thorough sweeps of the gravel with a vacuum as the ich spores will be dying off in the substrate. After 2 weeks I'd do an 80% water change and then you can welcome your new friend in the tank.

3. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I'm thinking your tank was uncycled and that, along with the stress of the ich, killed him. It typically takes much longer than 10 days to cycle a tank. Did you use a piece of filter media from your friend or a bottled bacterial supplement? If not, your tank likely wasn't cycled and ammonia would have built up quickly.

Do you have a test kit to test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

I would empty the tank and thoroughly clean the gravel and everything inside the tank. Then, I recommend you set it back up and fishless cycle it with pure ammonia and filter media from your friend if you can.

A Quick Guide to Fishless Cycling | DrTim's Aquatics

4. E

Eevee_7 New Member Member

I have had bettas for a little over 5 years and none of them have ever gotten parasites, but I think the best thing to do is to clean the tank to the best of your ability and just wait a while to kill the ich. It should die after a couple weeks with no host. (Or before that, I am always playing it safe with my fish.) I know you said you are not going to introduce other fish to the next betta you get, but it is perfectly OK if you put them in a different tank at first for a few weeks, to make sure they don't have any parasites or sickness they could spread to your other fish. (And as long as you know they do good with betta fish!)