Restart my tank.. Suggestions would be of great help..

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi forum,

You are right.. I have been missing all these days..

I was working from Warrington, UK. It is my first visit to the UK and it was great to be there.

In the mean time, my wife was feeding and taking care of my Betta and it died after struggling a lot. Unlucky not to be able to save him...

Anyway, my tank is empty now.. and I need to start it again.. (Of course, after running it for a few weeks.. for the nitrogen cycle to start.. )

It is a eight gallon glass tank with a Power filter (which is way tooooo fast for this small tank. So, need to change this to some corner / box filter.

I was eyeing 3 to 4 Guppies (all males), so that the tank does not become overstocked.. at all...

Would that be a good option? or should I go for some other smaller ones?

Please suggest me some fishes/filter. I would be grateful to hear from you.

P.S. In my country, it is peak summer and the mercury raises above 40 degree Celsius and will be like this for another couple of months..

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
May be, I would even love a betta again.. Im still not sure..

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Which kind of filter do you have now? A lot of them have a valve in them that allow you to turn down the flow of water so it would be more in line with your tanks needs.

As for fish, I think the guppies would be fine though I don't own any so am not an expert on them. It seems like you are looking for the flashier look fish (nothing wrong with that) but if you are looking for another option have you considered Corydoras Catfish? They aren't flashy but they are so much fun to watch as they act like a pack of puppies, play follow the leader a lot, an are pretty much always on the go. Just make sure to pick lively one's from the pet store. If they are lying about at the pet store then they will do pretty much the same in your tank.

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
The filter does not have a knob or valve to turn down the water flow.... So, i'll definitely have to change the filter to a corner filter / sponge filter.

I don't have experience having Cory Catfishes...

May be I would opt again for Bettas..
I've still not made up my decision..

I would love some suggestions from the experts..

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lokky.funky said:
I don't have experience having Cory Catfishes...
All the more reason to give them a try ;D.

As for the filter, there are some mods that can be made to certain types of power filters that would lessen the flow. I'm just not a fan of the corner filters especially since it will take up some of your already limited space. If you remember the brand and model of filter we might be able to point you in the right direction. Just my 2 cents though.

Wolfman

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had a tank of all male guppies 9 to be exact and it was a cool tank. But they will nip each others fins so you have to watch to remove the problem child then you need a tank to separate him in. Also make sure there are no sharp edges on any of your decorations because they will cut the large tale fins sometimes. They also seemed to build little clicks they would hang out and bullies others. I lost several fish to what I am assuming was harassment

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom