Resin or thermal bonding quilt batting

juniperlea

Valued Member
Reaction score
Online, I read/watched people praising quilt batting filtration, and that it's best to go to Walmart and buy their cheap batting. I've been a hand needleworker for decades. I know what cotton, rayon, silk and metallic threads are and how to use them, as well as thread count. However, I know nothing about machine quilting and even less about batting. So, I did some research. Polyester quilt batting is just fluffy polyester, flattened via some process or another. I know enough that a John Deere tractor can't permanently flatten that stuff. The flattening process is called 'bonding', and it can be done via a thermal process or using resin. Can anyone tell me whether resin bonding or thermal bonding is safer for the fish?

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use the $4.97 poly-fill from Walmart thats rolled up with no issues. You would think heat bonded is better than resin.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I never knew anything about this or thought much about it .
The John Deere tractor is a good analogy ..
I am older and tend to rember useless info like the name of something I bought a decade ago ..
I think they were called BONDED filter pads ! If you search them you will see multicolored [blue and white] filter pads that claim to be different porosity joined together ..
Again I never put much thought to it but I think [thanks to you ] I understand what they mean by bonded now ..
Now how they bond the material I don't know ?
My guess would be resin ?

juniperlea

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use the $4.97 poly-fill from Walmart thats rolled up with no issues. You would think heat bonded is better than resin.
That was my thought too. Thermal implies heat only. Whereas resin implies some sort of chemical. Last night, however, I forgot that I had experimented with the resin bonded quilting in a 10g ADF, female betta tank. I had plopped a wad of about 5" x 5" at the top of the HOB filter. The next morning, I woke, remembered what I'd done, and rather than focusing on coffee, I ran to the 10g, preparing myself for self-flagalation! All inhabitants were alive and well, and the water more clear than it had ever been. I've attached a pic of the resin treated batting after about 8 or 9 or 7 or 10 hours!

Attachments

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im not sure weather it is safer or not. But I think the heat fil would have the same results. Mine doesn't have any kind of bonding on the package. Myself I would not use the resin if I had a choice. Just for future safety.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That was my thought too. Thermal implies heat only. Whereas resin implies some sort of chemical. Last night, however, I forgot that I had experimented with the resin bonded quilting in a 10g ADF, female betta tank. I had plopped a wad of about 5" x 5" at the top of the HOB filter. The next morning, I woke, remembered what I'd done, and rather than focusing on coffee, I ran to the 10g, preparing myself for self-flagalation! All inhabitants were alive and well, and the water more clear than it had ever been. I've attached a pic of the resin treated batting after about 8 or 9 or 7 or 10 hours!
Is that loose pillow stuff even considered bonded? I would think bonded would be like quilt batting, a flat sheet?

juniperlea

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is that loose pillow stuff even considered bonded? I would think bonded would be like quilt batting, a flat sheet?
I think the pillow stuff is the same as batting, but not 'treated' via heat or resin chemical. I think they take the fluffy stuff and somehow 'bond' it using heat or something called 'resin' in order to flatten it into sheets. Which begs the question, for the purpose of filtration, who cares if the fluffy stuff is flat?!!! But, the resin bonded, flattened polyfill batting hasn't killed anyone yet and the water is more clear than ever. I put in a new 5 x 5 piece of batting on the top in the HOB immediately before the output, and it continues to collect lots of juicy gunk, yet no signs of fish/frog distress!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom