Reset And Restock

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Bry, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Bry

BryWell Known MemberMember

I have a 20 gallon tank I've had for about ten years. And my mom had I for 8 before that. Now I have three others and debated getting rid of it, but I'm sentimental as it was my first tank on my own.
    The only thing that's really changed is that I upgraded the filter to a Tetra Whisper 40.
    But the rocks are a weird mix of natural and every color you can imagine. The plastic and silk plants are like falling apart. And I think it has old tank syndrome of nothing really lives in it long no matter how good the water is. So I plan to strip it. New gravel (though I'm tempted to dabble in sand, which I've never done), replace the plastic with live and just change everything. So should I keep the old filter media or completely start new? If letting it re-cycle is the best thing to do, I'll do it.
    On top of that I don't know what to put in it once it's resettled. I've always wanted a freshwater puffer or an axolotl. But I'm also debating another betta tank, either a male or maybe two or three girls? Or maybe like one 'big' fish with lots of personality. So I'm looking for ideas. I do have a local shop in my area that has already told me they will happily order me whatever I decide.
    Looking for any advice and if anyone wants to see its current state, I'll post a picture when I get home. Along with my two established and my one tank that's a work in progress.

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Clap! I love resetting tanks after a long while, it's super fun!
    How long is this tank?

I would recommend doing a community if that's what you like, but you can choose anything really.
    Personally would not do an axolotl if the tank isn't two feet or more.

3. OP
    OP
    Bry

There's a part of me that doesn't want to but it's not my taste anymore and it's time. It's a standard 20 gallon, I don't know dimensions off the top of my head.
    It's just going to be having the money and time to scrub it and start fresh. Along with buying all new decor.
    I'm just open to ideas of what to stock it with. Those were just some of the things I like. I love bright colored and active fish.

4. OP
    OP
    Bry

There's also a GIANT chunk of live rock in the tank that is an eyesore. So now I have the chance to switch to driftwood or get a smaller piece. Whichever accommodates the occupant I choose. I'm just ready for a change. The tank is just ugly, in my opinion. I loved it then, but have grown out of it.

5. OP
    OP
    Bry

This is the tank for remodel. To me, looks very much like the tank of a 12 year old girl. Complete with every color gravel I could find.

Attached Files:

6. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

If you want personality, I'd reccomend cichlids. Theres a couple of smaller cichlids that can go in a 20g, and some options:
    - shelldwellers
    - apistogramma
    - bolivian rams
    - GBR (german blue ram)

For example, a single breeding pair could work for the last 3 options, with a school of tetras/rasboras and some cories or whatnot. As for the shelldweller, they tend to be a lot more interactive when its a single species tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Bry

I've never heard of shelldwellers. But I'd have to have sand for them, according to my research. And would I get like hermit crab shells for them? I don't know how that works.
    Though I do like the look of apistos or germans.

8. aussieJJDude

You can buy packs of escargot shells which they use. Its a lot cheaper than hermit crab shells - trust me, crabber here!

9. OP
    OP
    Bry

So with my old tank syndrome should I switch my filter media when I take the tank apart? Start completely new?

10. aussieJJDude

IMO I would keep the media. But if you prefer to start completely fresh, remember to cycle it!

11. OP
    OP
    Bry

I restarted it with about 10 gallons of established from my other three tanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice