Researching Turtles How Do I

1. Kaitlynn

Kaitlynn New Member Member

hi i mostly keep fish but I started watching turtle videos on YouTube and think that they are adorable. disclaimer I don’t have any plans to get one anytime soon, but since I liked the idea of having one I figured I would do my research on them before I made any kind of plans. I would prefer to have very small easy to care for turtles because i don’t want to make a big enclosure and I don’t know anything about taking care of them yet.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I’m not sire about turtle care, but have areas for resting out of the water(to prevent shell rot), have a UV lamp for a hot spot on one side and have another side without a UV lamp.

3. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

There's not really any such thing as small turtles in the long run, you may buy them small, but they're gunna grow. Anyway, the setup it actually pretty easy (but pricey). Minimum size of 40 gallon breeder, but depending on the turtle, you may really need somewhere like 75g+. You're going to need a heater for the water. As far as lights go, you absolutely 110% need UVB light and a basking light. UVB light enables reptiles to make vitamin d3, which is then used to metabolize calcium. Without it, reptiles look sick, act lethargic, and ultimately can develop diseases. The basking light is used to regulate internal temperature, as reptiles do not have a circulatory system like we do. Under the basking light, you should have a sizable area for the turtle to fully come out of the water to lay in the light. Lastly of the basics, you need a filter, and a good one at that. If you don't, it's unhealthy for the turtle, and will STINK. Good luck!

4. OP
    OP
    Kaitlynn

Kaitlynn New Member Member

thank you! I don’t have the space for that right now but maybe when I move.