Research paper, want to be accurate

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Charlemagne, Mar 23, 2010.

1. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

Hi, I'm doing a research paper on bettas. I'm thinking about covering the following subjects:
    The Care and Keeping of Bettas
    1) Common misconceptions about bettas
    2) Proper care-the right environment
    3) The right equipment
    4) Betta diseases
    Betta Origins
    5) Where bettas originate
    6) About the original betta
    Breeding Bettas
    7) Preparing for breeding
    8) Caring for the fry
    9) Betta genetics and tail types

I know that there is a myth that bettas can be kept in tiny jars, and little bowls, and I'd like to help show people that that's incorrect. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions for information sources on bettas! I especially need help on Betta diseases, and betta genetics. I'd like to tell which traits in bettas are dominant and recessive, so people reading it will be able to tell what kind of fin and tail shapes they will get by breeding two bettas. I know that's asking a lot, but I'd reeeally appreciate any help you guys could give me! You've been really great about answering my questions so far, and I'm sure you'll be a big help here! Thanks everyone!!!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What class is this for?

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, a lot of breeders keep bettas in jars and they do quite well. BUT, a lot of maintenance is required to keep bettas that way and I agree with you that pet bettas are better kept in tanks for sure.

It's been a while since I've written a research paper, but I've written a ton of them, lol. I'd suggest starting your research at a library. Teachers usually like to see books and articles cited rather than internet sources. I'm sure you can use internet sources, but they probably shouldn't make up the majority of your paper. Also, you could ask your teacher if articles from fishkeeping magazines would count as a source. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get your hands on some betta articles from some of the popular aquarium magazines.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Hehe...as an English teacher (well, almost...two more semesters and I will be!), I can tell you that harpua is right. Teachers do not like to see internet sources, especially sources that are not considered "credible" (such as online periodicals and journals, archived articles from magazines, etc). Not to say that the people on here don't know their stuff, but they wouldn't be considered a credible source.

That being said, I think this is an awesome idea for a research paper and would love to read it when you get done. If I was your teacher, I'd probably give extra points just for the subject matter. ;) (just kidding!!)

5. OP
    OP
    C

Ok, thanks guys! I'll definitely be going to the library tonight. We've got a pretty big library here, so I'll almost certainly be able to find something. That was a big help! Lol bassbone, I'd love to take your English class! Any more suggestions anyone?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  6. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Go to the IBC website....you will find out more about betta species and orgins than you want to know!!!!...lol There are way more bettas than our fancy guys!!!!

7. OP
    OP
    C

What is the IBC website?

8. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

International Betta conference and also the SMP program with species info (Species Maintenance Program) to help save the wild breeds.

9. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

The link is  

10. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

I just got two books that I really like about bettas. They are both filled with a ton of technical information, including breeding, colors, and other species.

Bettas: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual by Robert J Goldstein, Ph.D and published by Barran's Educational Series

Bettas: A Complete Introduction by Walt Maurus and published by t.f.h.

Hope that helps.

11. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

To make things easier, IMO you should probably narrow the focus of your paper to one species of betta. I'd choose betta splendens just because there's probably a lot more literature available about them than other species.

12. OP
    OP
    C

Oh, right Harpua. I was planning on doing it on betta splendens. Didn't even think about the other species. Thanks for the book suggestions Algae Eater! I'll look them up. I went to the library tonight, and got about 15 books. Betta books, fish encyclopedias, etc. MAN!!! Those encyclopedias are HEAVY!!! lol

13. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

I just finished a research paper on the proper care of bettas about two months ago in my last block of classes. At my college we use an online database of major scientific publications, I got a lot of information out of there. Does your school offer anything like that?

Just an FYI ... some internet sources are not credible, but many of them are. You may have a requirement though that only X number of sources can be online ones, so make sure you follow that. Wikipedia is *not* a credible source because anyone (and everyone!) has the potential to put whatever they want on there. It can be a great starting point to find sources (see the references at the bottom of the page) but please keep that in mind. At my college it is forbidden as a reference!

14. f

fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Good luck with your paper! I think it would a very interesting one to write. Perhaps there are repuatble breeder or something in your area that you could interview for some good quotes?

15. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I think it's a forbidden at most colleges. lol In most of my English classes last semester (I took four), you were docked major points if you used Wikipedia as a reference.

16. OP
    OP
    C

Wow! Ok, no Wikipedia then. I've gotten so many books, I'm a bit overloaded, and don't know where to start! I will check out the IBC website though. Thanks!

17. lyndra

lyndra Valued Member Member

Jstor was about the only online references we were allowed to use at university, if you can get access to it I'd recommend having a look at it because it's really useful otherwise stick to the library.

18. OP
    OP
    C

What is a "butterfly" Betta?

Ok, I've run across another question for you guys: What exactly is a butterfly betta? I've read conflicting info about what they really are. One source says that "true" butterfly bettas are bettas with the body one color, the part of the fins closest to the body are clear, and the outer edge of the fins are colored. Several other books label pics of bettas "butterfly bettas" when their fins are body color closest to the body, and clear at the edges. Which one is right??? I believe the first one of them may have been published several years ago, and the others more recently, so maybe the definition has changed? :;thx

19. bettaloulou

bettaloulou Valued Member Member

I just finished my BA in English last Spring. You know you are a literature and/or betta nerd when you think to yourself "oh that research paper sounds like fun" In my case I'm both! lol

I definatly agree with everyone else about using "credible sources." As Upright noted, many internet sources such as online journals and magazines can be credible, and search engines such as JSTOR that are usually free at your school or public library are great (though some of the articles can be very technical and difficult to fully understand).

You are working with a lot of different topics there, do you have a thesis/main argument yet? You may find after you have read some of your sources, that one or two areas in particular really capture your interest. It seems to me it might be genetics and breeding so far. Happy researching and good luck!

20. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you :) I'm trying to write a guide to keeping bettas. Genetics and breeding are interesting and given the chance I might do my paper just on them, but my paper's due in 2 weeks, so it's a bit too late to change my goal. MM, you'd know about the butterfly. Or any of you breeders for that matter. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice