Research Paper: Fish Are Dumber In Cold Water

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Quote from researcher (link and article details below):
"Cold water depresses the metabolic rate and the speed of fish. For roughly every 10 degrees Celsius you drop, the metabolic rates drop about two and a half times." [The cold-blooded species aren't just slower, they're dumber.] "Their brains actually operate at a slower speed, and as their neurons fire more slowly, their reaction times are slower, [meaning] the rate at which they can process sensory information declines and they become effectively stupider."

"Quirks and Quarks" is an awesome radio program and podcast on our beloved (okay, opinions vary) CBC, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. A recent episode included a segment with the attention-grabbing teaser "fish get stupider in cold water". I did an LOL, but it's a nice listen/read. Here's a summary of the "stupider" gem, along with a link to the larger piece, which in turn includes a link to the research article.

Executive summary:
Biologists have noted that warm blooded marine bird and mammal diversity is greater than expected in cold arctic waters. They now surmise that this is because fish, being cold-blooded, are physiologically and intellectually slower in colder waters (neurons literally fire more slowly), whereas birds and mammals remain fast and smart, giving them an edge as predators there. Cold blooded predators like sharks are also at a disadvantage in colder waters, conferring another advantage to birds and mammals (less likely to be eaten).
In warmer waters, sharks (as a typical [mostly] cold-blooded predator) and fish and birds/mammals are all on a more even footing. Fish as prey are faster, but so are fish as predators (ie predators of fish, but also birds/seals). So birds/mammals lose the advantages of being warm-blooded in warm waters. Thereby explaining why they thrive in colder climates.

Don't keep stupid fish. Heat your tank.
Knowledge.
Mic drop.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/jany-26-2019-the-power-of-super-poop-preventing-ptsd-counting-down-to-apollo-11-and-more-1.4991136/why-warm-blooded-predators-thrive-in-the-coldest-places-on-earth-1.4991140

This link includes reference info for the actual paper:

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hahahaha not exactly the conclusions I get from the article. Kind of a shortcut.

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hmmm... I would like to have super smart fish... and water boils at 100 degrees Celsius... sooooo...

(*foot note for anyone living in a cold climate I do not intend on boiling my fish or even raising the temperature)

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hmmm... I would like to have super smart fish... and water boils at 100 degrees Celsius... sooooo...

(*foot note for anyone living in a cold climate I do not intend on boiling my fish or even raising the temperature)
Please explain. 7C here right now.

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's a humorous summary but broadly speaking it tallies with neurology, I'll read the paper after work - interesting stuff

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
"Their brains actually operate at a slower speed, and as their neurons fire more slowly, their reaction times are slower, [meaning] the rate at which they can process sensory information declines

Gee, I could have told you that with zero research on my end.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I could have told you that with zero research on my end.
Sometimes I beat myself up for being negative in my comments. But when I read yours, I feel less bad about that.
Thanks for cheering me up!

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sometimes I beat myself up for being negative in my comments. But when I read yours, I feel less bad about that.
Thanks for cheering me up!
You're very welcome. That's why I'm here, to be so negative that other negative people feel better about themselves. I have yet to see you on a bad day though.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@scarface I'm very glad that you can take some minor friendly ribbing in the spirit in which it's given, ie with a smile. :emoji_thumbsup:
Re me on a bad day: I can't tell you how many times I write something, then delete before posting. It's always replies to various other threads about being polite, the differences between fact and opinion, telling people they're mistaken (and having others tell you that), and qualifying things that you think, vs things that are true. LOL I hear Cory on Aquarium Coop say all the time in his vids/podcasts "I think it's a true fact that..." :shifty:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom