Resealing tank.

Kirashoe

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
Hey guys, i'm new to this site and was hoping you guys could give me some advice and tips on resealing tanks. I just bought a beautiful 35 gallon hexagon tank for a great deal. It didn't even cross my mind to check the silicone (as this is an old tank). When I started to fill it up with water it had a huge leak in one corner. Its not a crack in the glass just some worn out silicone. I'm super nervous about resealing it. Its a beautiful tank and i'd hate to mess it up. If ya'll have any suggestions on how I should go about it i'd love to hear them. Also, if the leak is only on one side can I just reseal that one side, or should I reseal the entire thing? I'm really nervous about having to do the entire tank because there's a lot of sides to it. Thanks in advance.
 

A201

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,771
Reaction score
4,437
Location
Oklahoma
Experience
More than 10 years
Plenty of YouTube videos available which provide information about resealing tanks. Thank goodness!
It's possible to do a partial reseal, but once you have mastered the process, probably best to redo the entire tank.
 

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,560
Reaction score
1,373
Location
Dayton, OH
Experience
More than 10 years
Resealing a tank is not hard at all. I wouldn't do a partial reseal if the silicone is that old. Its just asking for trouble down the road.

Watch some Youtube videos and you'll see how easy it is. Make sure you scrape out all the old silicone and clean it really well before you use the new silicone.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
K

Kirashoe

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
I got the supplies and am planning g to do it tonight. Wish me luck!
 

MrsPancakes

Active Member
Member
Messages
90
Reaction score
126
Location
Hillsboro, OR
Experience
More than 10 years
I just did a 55 bowfront. It's easy but take your time. I found out on the sealant manufactures website that it needed to cure four days before it wouldn't leach toxins in the water once the tank was filled. Good luck.
 

Flyfisha

Well Known
Member
Messages
920
Reaction score
780
Location
East coast Australia
Experience
4 years
I worked with glass and silicon for many years in my working life.
A few points to remember.
You will need many MANY razor blades to clean ALL the old silicon from the glass . This takes the most amount of time and is the most important part.
Each blade will not stay sharp long. A blade with a chip will scratch the glass.
Seriously a dozen blades is the minimum you will need.
Only thin shape bendy blades will remove the last traces of old silicon.
New silicon does not stick as well to old silicon this is why you need to try and remove as much as possible. Under the right lighting you will see it’s almost impossible to remove the last traces of silicon.

Use masking tape.

For structural silicon joints you will need to wait one day per millimetre , That’s 6 days for a 1/4 inch thick join to dry completely .

This next bit is not going to be easy .
For maximum strength you can’t stop silicon one day and join more on to it the next day. Try and finish all the joints in one day. I realise this is going to be impossible. There will be joins of new silicon on to yesterday’s silicon. Just try and keep the dust from the air away from the join over night.
Good luck .
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
K

Kirashoe

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
Flyfisha said:
I worked with glass and silicon for many years in my working life.
A few points to remember.
You will need many MANY razor blades to clean ALL the old silicon from the glass . This takes the most amount of time and is the most important part.
Each blade will not stay sharp long. A blade with a chip will scratch the glass.
Seriously a dozen blades is the minimum you will need.
Only thin shape bendy blades will remove the last traces of old silicon.
New silicon does not stick as well to old silicon this is why you need to try and remove as much as possible. Under the right lighting you will see it’s almost impossible to remove the last traces of silicon.

Use masking tape.

For structural silicon joints you will need to wait one day per millimetre , That’s 6 days for a 1/4 inch thick join to dry completely .

This next bit is not going to be easy .
For maximum strength you can’t stop silicon one day and join more on to it the next day. Try and finish all the joints in one day. I realise this is going to be impossible. There will be joins of new silicon on to yesterday’s silicon. Just try and keep the dust from the air away from the join over night.
Good luck .
Thanks that was all super helpful! I've got alot of work ahead of me with this octagon shaped tank. Lol.
 

DWarner

New Member
Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Hey. Purchase a 180 gallon tank with old and peeling off in it. I have attacked pics of what I use. Love the Benchmark caulking tool kit from home hardware. Saves me time and less work removing old silicone. Second part helps with the recaulking and shaping/spreading out of silicone
15947924474515689275936623721137.jpg
15947934799864550391031827174341.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
K

Kirashoe

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
After closer inspection I relize that it's not the silicone seal that broke although it was very old and needs to be replaced. The glass is actually seperated in on corner. From what I've read theres really no fixing this... I can either toss it or spend a ton of money getting it professionally fixed. :( Dose anyone have any other ideas or do I need to start looking for a new tank?
 

DWarner

New Member
Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
If the glass is not broken you can reseal. Just clean it up, put silicone in the joint that separated, push together and tape on outside to keep together for 24 hours. Resilcone rest of corner and you have a new tank
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
K

Kirashoe

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
DWarner said:
If the glass is not broken you can reseal. Just clean it up, put silicone in the joint that separated, push together and tape on outside to keep together for 24 hours. Resilcone rest of corner and you have a new tank
I'm so happy to hear that! Hopefully I'll have a leak free tank soon!
 

DWarner

New Member
Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Once finished sealing and dried fill tank in safe area. Just in case there is a leak. Never happened to me after redoing a tank but better safe then sorry :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
K

Kirashoe

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
DWarner said:
Once finished sealing and dried fill tank in safe area. Just in case there is a leak. Never happened to me after redoing a tank but better safe then sorry :)
I'll definitely fill it up outside. Having to clean up all that water was a nightmare lol.
 

Frank the Fish guy

Active Member
Member
Messages
211
Reaction score
112
Location
Maryland
Experience
More than 10 years
A rag soaked in IPA (rubbing alcohol) is handy to have to help soak the areas with old silicon calk. It doesn't dissolve it, but it helps soften it and make it easier to scrape off.

I have a tank that I resealed over 30 years ago. Still going strong.

You got this!!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
K

Kirashoe

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
Frank the Fish guy said:
A rag soaked in IPA (rubbing alcohol) is handy to have to help soak the areas with old silicon calk. It doesn't dissolve it, but it helps soften it and make it easier to scrape off.

I have a tank that I resealed over 30 years ago. Still going strong.

You got this!!
Thanks for the tip!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
K

Kirashoe

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
So I did everything by the books and filled it with water outside to test it. It held for a full 24 hours but the next day the one side where the glass was seperated was once again leaking :( I'm probably going to have to find a new tank.
 

yukondog

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
1,122
Location
N.W.FL.
Experience
5 years
At this point I would agree, I have resealed a fair amount of tanks before and have had a few that would still leak again and that's when it gets replaced. I would keep it and practice on it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
K

Kirashoe

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
So I found another aquarium and decided to fill it up out side and with my amazing luck it has a tiny leak . Is a partial seal an option?
 

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,560
Reaction score
1,373
Location
Dayton, OH
Experience
More than 10 years
Kirashoe said:
So I found another aquarium and decided to fill it up out side and with my amazing luck it has a tiny leak . Is a partial seal an option?
I never recommend partial seal. Reason is the new silicone will not 100% cure to the old which means you'll always have a weak point. Some people risk it, for me its not worth the headache and worry of coming home to a leaking tank.

If you're going to reseal I'd reseal the whole thing
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
224
Guests online
3,224
Total visitors
3,448

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom