Resealing Tank (im leaking) Help 

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
During rescaping i noticed the front of my tank kept dripping. Thought it just my mess at first but it just kept coming down each time i wiped it. Yup, a leak.

I took a look, luckily its just the top rim, so for the interim the tank isnt as full as to keep it from leaking.

Now... i looked where its leaking. Its on the inside of the rim. It looks like someone tried to seal it themselves before (tank is second hand) because the sealant is clear there where the rest is black. Theres a hole in that seal.

So im going to drain the tank part way (cant totally empty it as i have nowhere to put all 29 fish and inverts lol), let the spot dry and reseal it.

Do i need to remove the old seal or could i just patch it? Its hard to reach due to the angle.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Boop. Need advice ASAP

CardShark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
New silicone doesn't stick very well to old silicone so ideally you would strip out all the old silicone and reseal the entire aquarium.

Since it's at the top of your tank, however, you might as well try it and see if it holds.
Worst case you will be in the same boat.

Sanderguy777

Valued Member
Reaction score
No experience but from paint and other sealing point of view, removing the old seal is almost always the best way.

As for the fish issue. You could go to home depot or Lowe's and get a plastic tote for the day or so you will be waiting for silicone to dry. Up to you, just thinking of ways to make removing the seal easier. Not having to worry about fish eating bits that fall would be worth the money to me personally.

CardShark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sanderguy777 said:
No experience but from paint and other sealing point of view, removing the old seal is almost always the best way.

As for the fish issue. You could go to home depot or Lowe's and get a plastic tote for the day or so you will be waiting for silicone to dry. Up to you, just thinking of ways to make removing the seal easier. Not having to worry about fish eating bits that fall would be worth the money to me personally.
True, you don't need an actual aquarium to move your fish to temporarily.

Get a cheap storage tote for now and use it to store stuff when your done :)

Jimmie93

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
29 gallon is a pretty weird tank but sometimes it is cheaper to replace the whole tank.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
So, if i strip the old sealant, i plan on lowering water pretty low to give room to work, having a tray kept tight to the glass below to catch any debris. It will be held on with clear tape so there wont be any gaps. My danios think with their stomach so id be sure theyd eat anything that fell in.

But i *may* try just to patch it since it is just the top rim.

Jimmie93 said:
29 gallon is a pretty weird tank but sometimes it is cheaper to replace the whole tank.
Its a 46 gallon bowfront, not 29 gallon. Its *home* to 29 fish lol

Not cheap to replace.

(Even if it was a 29 gallon, thats still almost $150 to replace around here!)

Plus, sealant is only like $10. I already have it on hand, just need to get an idea of where to start before i work on repair

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom