Resealing Aquarium

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by StarFall, Apr 13, 2017.

1. StarFall

StarFall Valued Member Member

Hello, I bought a fish tank recently, and it's leaking badly, so I need to reseal it. I have some questions.
    Do I need to remove every bit of silicone? I've removed most of it, but there's still some stubborn residue. Will the tank not succeed if I don't get all the residue?

How much silicone do I need? It's a 45 gallon tank, 36 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 24 inches tall.

How long should I wait before moving the fish tank?

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Remove every piece you can the cleaner the better.
    Buy twice what you think you need, you can always return what you don't open.
    I'd wait 96 hrs. to be sure.

3. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Silicone doesnt stick well with silicon so yeah, you have to remove everything, you can use alcohol or nail paint remover afterwards to make sure it is really clean, just make sure it does not get in the seam.
    I resealed my aquarium which is 31 inches long, 14 inches wide and 17 inches tall with less than 150 ml of pure silicone. Altough I would just recommend you to buy a good ammount of it, it is okay if you end up with more silicon that what you needed but it is a nightmare if you are missing out silicone.
    I waited an entire day for the silicone to cure and I had no problems.

4. OP
    OP
    StarFall

StarFall Valued Member Member

Ok, thanks for the help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice