Resealing aquarium advice

courtneylm

The other day we had our 120g aquarium start leaking, discovered it was one of the bottom seals that was leaking. We removed all the old silicone with a razor blade and acetone, and we bought ASI aquarium sealant and resealed it. My question is this: how long do we have to wait before we can fill it for a leak test? The package says 24 hours full cure for an 1/8" bead and 7 days for maximum adhesion. We're in florida and the tank has been sealed and sitting outside since Monday afternoon (its been in the 80s here). So can I leak test it after 24 hours or do I have to wait 7 days? I've never done this before and don't wanna mess it up. Our poor fish are in a 40g tote and a 5 gallon tank right now, and I wanna get them back in their tank as quickly as possible without harming them.

KingOscar

I waited a week on the last tank I resealed. Then water tested in the garage for 3 days. The good news is that was 5 months ago and all is still fine!

Some re-fill in a few days without issue, but this is such a big job that I wanted to make double certain I wouldn't have to start all over again. That would be much worse than waiting a few extra days.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
kurb
Replies
Views
Dragones5150918
Replies
Views