Rescuing My Angelfish! Advice?

1. Gourami Geek

Gourami Geek Valued Member Member

Hello friends! Been a few months since I've been here. Missed the community so much! Glad to be back here!

So here is my situation. It's long winded and confusing, so hold on tight.

I had a young angelfish in my 55 gallon. Not exactly sure how old it was, but it's body (not counting fins) was roughly the size of a golf ball. I discovered I had some stocking issues (being fairly new to the hobby at the time) and decided that my best bet was to rehome the angelfish. My friend from a town about an hour away said she could take it, which was perfect because another friend from the same town (who I'll call Jean) was coming to visit the next day and she could drop it (and a few other fish she was taking) off to her. So Jean takes these fish home with her and told me it might be a few days until she can get them to my other friend, which I was a bit uneasy about because Jean has lots of fish and has one die nearly every day. Had I known they would be staying with Jean I would have never agreed to let her take them. Well.....fast forward 3 months to the beginning to august, and Jean still had my angelfish. The rest of the fish I had sent with died in her care within the first week. I find out that the friend who was supposed to take the angelfish no longer wanted it, and Jean has become attached to my angelfish so she is keeping it. She didn't bother to ask if she could keep it, she just told me she was going to.

How the fish is still alive, I will never know. It is living with like 4 female Bettas and 5 cories and some assorted tetras I believe.....in a 20 gallon tank.

I've talked to her about how her tanks are over stocked very carefully, but every time she just says that since she has an extra filter in there it there it is fine. So I guess more or less I have given up, as sad as I am to say it.

However, my 35 gallon hex tank is currently empty....and I was wondering if I could possibly put the angelfish in there?

In terms of water volume, it comes up short I believe, and I of course wouldn't buy an angelfish with the intentions of it living in there. My 55 gallon is completely stocked, and my 30 gallon is not only too small but also houses a turtle, so that would never work. So the 35 gallon is my only hope to give the angelfish, who is now stunted considering he hasn't grown in 4 months, a better life.

So I need opinions. Am I doing the right thing in trying to get it back and giving it a better home? If it can thrive in the 35 gallon, are there any potential tank mates for it? I was hoping for German Blue Rams if so, but that is a bit of wishful thinking on part I believe.

Thanks in advance!

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions of the new tank? I would get it back as you never gave her permission to keep the fish in the fish place.

3. OP
    OP
    Gourami Geek

The dimensions of the 35 gallon hex in width is 20 inches from side to side, 23 inches from corner to corner, and in height it is 25 inches.
    That is the answer I was hoping to get! :) Do you think I could comfortably house a pair or 2 of GBRs?

4. Katie13

Personally, I would only put in 1, maybe 2. They should be added last, when the tank has been established for around 3 months. I have a GBR/Angel tank. Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    Gourami Geek

Wonderful, thank you so much! :)

6. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

That tank is more than adequate for one angelfish. Get it back!

7. OP
    OP
    Gourami Geek

Haha yes! I will do my absolute best! I just hope it doesn't suffer if/when I do get it back since it is stunted. Poor thing. :(

8. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

9. OP
    OP
    Gourami Geek

10. Katie13

Good Luck!

11. OP
    OP
    Gourami Geek

Okay quick update! I talked/pleaded with Jean, and she agreed to give it back. She definitely wasn't happy about it, but that's beside the point. The only issue now is that her entire family is out of town right now, so they haven't been getting water changes this week at all. What usually happens though is that when she gets home she does a massive water change, the cycle gets messed up, and a bunch of fish die, since she doesn't exactly understand the cycling process. So for now I am just keeping my fingers crossed that I can get it back before it's too late.

But at least I have a chance at getting it back now!