Rescuing a Very Old Persian

Lisa MacAlpine

I've got a spunky teenage Ragdoll, and just agreed to temporarily house my great-aunt's 22 year-old Persian as the aunt has no interest in the cat and may not be returning home after rehab. Does anyone have any tips for how to handle a cat this old?
My mom's taking her to the vet to be shaved, washed, and checked up, before bringing her home, and I've got a giant dog crate to put her in until we can figure out what to do with her and what's causing her poor litter box habits. We're planning to switch her off clumping litter as Mom's allergic.

It's weird to think that the cat's as old as I am.

Magoo

It's lovely to hear you are caring for the Siamese I've never kept them myself but have heard they can be cranky

Rag dolls are my all time favourite cat breed again not had one yet I've just had good old fashioned domestic moggies in the past but one day ill get my rag doll

Lisa MacAlpine

Why thanks! It's a Persian, not a Siamese, but I'll keep crankiness in mind.

My cat's technically a Birman mix, but she got the Ragdoll disposition from somewhere. You can turn her upside down and she'll arch like a gymnast, when I was little I'd dress her in doll clothes, and we've taught her to ride in the car and on a bike. She's very easy-going on 90% of everything. Quite awesome.

Magoo

Sorry oops my eyes are playing up. Persians I think are similar to rag dolls but need allot of grooming and occasionally can get gloopy eyes but they are sooooo cute

I can't wait to get a rag doll my fiancé keeps saying he's not a cat person but when we get a bigger house and I turn up with a cute little kitten how can he resist although knowing me I will probably go to the local cat rehoming centre and give a kitty a loving new home

Lisa MacAlpine

I'm rotten at turning down cute kitties. If you want to dream or plot - or for whenever you're ready - check out petfinder.com. It's a nationwide (and Canada and I don't know where else) directory of rescue cats and you can sort by breed.

CoryCats

The only extra advice that I could give would be that they might need wet catfood, but that kinda depends on the cat. She'll probably just need the same care as your other cat! and lots of love

Gordinian

Holy goodness that's an old cat! Hopefully the move won't stress her too much; good luck!

zombiecat03

I ended up with my elderly neighbor's 23yr old kitty. Her system only tolerates wet food. I had a groomer friend come to the house and shave Aja. The vet didnt want to do because they usually have to give sedation and they thought it would do her in, so we just spent an hour or so going slow. It really depends on the kitty's general health. My old girl is starting to have more trouble; it appears that shes got some mobility issues developing. The vet will be able to evaluate range of motion and hip joint issues. They can be just like and elderly person that has begun to lose control of functions. After all kitty is about 100 or so. Good luck and its wonderful that you are taking care of her.I have training pads surrounding Ajas litter box as she doesn't always get in far enough. Ive been doing rescue and care since 1994

Lisa MacAlpine

dolphinlover101 said:
Holy goodness that's an old cat! Hopefully the move won't stress her too much; good luck!
That's been a major concern. Our thought had always been to let her live out her last few days with my g-aunt, but the (younger) dog died first and my aunt is blaming the cat for surviving. And now she's in the hospital.

zombiecat03 said:
I ended up with my elderly neighbor's 23yr old kitty. Her system only tolerates wet food. I had a groomer friend come to the house and shave Aja. The vet didnt want to do because they usually have to give sedation and they thought it would do her in, so we just spent an hour or so going slow. It really depends on the kitty's general health. My old girl is starting to have more trouble; it appears that shes got some mobility issues developing. The vet will be able to evaluate range of motion and hip joint issues. They can be just like and elderly person that has begun to lose control of functions. After all kitty is about 100 or so. Good luck and its wonderful that you are taking care of her.I have training pads surrounding Ajas litter box as she doesn't always get in far enough. Ive been doing rescue and care since 1994
Thanks for the tips! The vet's supposed to tell us if the cat can be shaved without anesthesia or... can handle it, I guess. The mats are sickening and they've got to come off somehow. I'm glad to know that it can be managed without sedation if necessary. Training pads are a great idea!

Any thoughts on how much attention this cat might need? G-aunt fed it but gave all her love to the dog. My younger cat hates competition so I can't just plunk the new kitty on my bed to be cuddled all night.

CoryCats

I would let her decide on the amount of attention. My cats have always been one to let us know if they want attention or not. She might hide for a couple of days when she first gets there until she settles in.

Butterfly

If the dog got all the attention the cat maybe a little skittish to begin with. You'll just have to see what she can tolerate. If she's matted really bad it may hurt her to get into and out of the litter box.
Good for you for giving her a home when she needs it.
Carol

Lisa MacAlpine

Oh, good thoughts! I forgot about shy cats. My only other foster was a kitten and that wasn't an issue.

I'm hoping the mats are contributing to the litter box problems. She can't groom at all. I'm going to buy her a shallow litter pan tomorrow. And she probably needs a heating pad...

Butterfly

Mine loves a nice fluffy blanket to sleep/lounge on. Being old she might not be able to tell if the heating pad is getting too warm for her.
carol

Lisa MacAlpine

Oh... Is a blanket enough though? The ragdoll and I hang out with a space heater most nights.

Lisa MacAlpine

Random update: The vet looked the cat over and said she may live another three years. They shaved almost a pound of fur off her without sedation, but want her back for one more round - hopefully tomorrow. We're trying to figure out where to put her for the night since she can't be washed yet and is probably carrying cockroach eggs in her fur. We also need to drum up funds for the FIV test before we get her too close to my cat.

She's going to be gorgeous though. I can tell.

Tonia

Good luck with your kitty. I had adopted an elderly himalayan neglected cat and she turned out to be the most loving and sweet cat I ever had. All she ever wanted was to cuddle and be loved. I had her for more than 8 years before she passed. She loved dogs, but really disliked other cats.

I wish you all the best with this girl, and maybe with good care, she'll outlive your vet's expectations.

Lisa MacAlpine

Aww... That's sweet! And thanks! I'm excited to see how this goes.

Magoo

I'm glad to hear she didn't have to be sedated to be shaved I bet she is feeling better already.

Has her toilet habits improved since she has had a fur cut?

What colour is she I'm really looking forward to some pictures once she has had a bath and all and then when her fur grows back in and also pictures of your ragdoll

CoryCats

+1 for pictures

Shine

Cockroach eggs in the fur?? *twitch* *twitch* Nasty.

So glad she gets to live out her remaining years with people who will truly care for her. You are doing a wonderful thing

Lisa MacAlpine

Magoo said:
Has her toilet habits improved since she has had a fur cut?

What colour is she I'm really looking forward to some pictures once she has had a bath and all and then when her fur grows back in and also pictures of your ragdoll
Cinders (the Persian) is pure white. I'll get some pics of her tonight after the bath. Caterina, my ragdoll looks like this:

Shine said:
Cockroach eggs in the fur?? *twitch* *twitch* Nasty.
I know... It's really abysmal.

Magoo

Oh my what a stunning girl she is gorgeous I bet grooming her is very relaxing
I do see a little mischief in her eyes too

Lisa MacAlpine

Magoo said:
Oh my what a stunning girl she is gorgeous I bet grooming her is very relaxing
I do see a little mischief in her eyes too
She has a lot of mischief. She doesn't need much grooming, as her fur doesn't mat, but she likes to sit close and keep me company when I work late.

The vet said not to bath Cinders for a couple days to let her skin heal. So the pictures I've tried to take aren't doing her justice. I'll put some up after the bath when she's in better shape.

Magoo

She sounds like the perfect companion

How is Cinders? I bet she is happy to be with you

Lisa MacAlpine

She was okay - not doing much, liking her head rubbed, and sometimes failing to hit the litter box - until I got home tonight. In hindsight, she hasn't eaten since yesterday morning.

But now I'm afraid she's dying. Mom petted her a bit and when I got in an hour later she was laying on her side and had wrapped a towel around her head and gotten it in her water bowl so it and she were all wet. I touched her and she had a seizure or something and flailed all around for a few seconds till she caught on to the cage bars. I got her out and she's been sitting in my lap for the last hour or so and barely moving and is very cold.

I've got a heater pointed at us, and I'm petting her, and I'm just going to stay up until... something happens. I don't know what else to do. Maybe it's just time for her to go. She's so old and has been through so much.

Magoo

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that I hope she will be ok she is a fighter considering what she has been through sending you a prayer give her a cuddle from me

Lisa MacAlpine

Thank you. That's very kind.

Magoo

Will you keep me posted?
I have loved and lost many cats over the years and even though mine lives with my mum I still love the chubby little fur monster.

This news has bought a tear to my eye and if you knew me you would know very little makes that happen

Lisa MacAlpine

Sure will. I've never lost a cat before and I'm crying too. Never did that over the fish or the hamsters. And I've only had her three days.

Ugg. Maybe she'll bounce back. She's a little warmer now, but I'm pretty sure it's the heater.

Magoo

I really truly hope she does I'm not going to upset you by telling you how I lost my furry babies it still upsets me to this day.

Keep her warm and gently stroke her it'll keep her calm and let her now you are there if your able pick her up and hold her to your chest she will hear your heartbeat which will sooth her too and your body heat will help to keep her warm too.

I have got everything crossed for you and Cinders

Lisa MacAlpine

I lost her. She stretched all out suddenly and breathed funny and now her chest isn't moving and she's totally limp. It was horrid.
Sorry... I don't mean to be graphic. I've just never seen a dead cat before and I feel like I should keep petting just in case. But I tried to shut her big eyes and she didn't respond. Now she just looks like she's sleeping. A big teddy-cat with a bad haircut waiting to wake up and play like a proper pal.

I was holding her and rubbing her head the whole time... so hopefully that's the best way it could have happened and at least somebody loved her. Thank you for being around for me. It's good to know that somebody on the other side of the world cares and had been here before.

Magoo

I'm so very sorry that she passed at least in her last days she had someone to love her and take care of her you made her happy.

I wish I could come and give you a huge big hug ill just have to send you one.
It a horrible thing to have to go through but you were with her till the end and she will always be in your heart.

I really don't know what else to say apart from bless your heart for giving her a loving home.

RIP Cinders I never got to see a picture of you but the picture of you I have in my head you were beautiful

Corine

I'm so sorry for your loss. At least try to take comfort in the fact that she died in the comfort of your lap. I'm sure that she appreciated the love she received in the brief time she was with you.

Lisa MacAlpine

Aw... Thanks! The hug is appreciated. That's very sweet of you. Of everyone, really...

I'll be good. I'm going to go find my ragdoll, give her a big hug, and get some sleep.

Magoo

Sweet dreams Lisa

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom