Rescuing A Ten Gallon

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm calling it a rescue because the tank is in disrepair. The owner, a teenager, knows all they need to take care of the tank...but a medical condition has put the tank at the bottom of their list of priorities.

When I walked in and took over, the water was discoloured. Of the 5 fathead minnnows, 4 look healthy enough, and one looks starved/TB....but I'd say probably bullied away from the food and starved. belly is inverted but the spine doesn't look twisted. The fish is weak, but alert and not showing any sores. Looks like it's not able to eat the pellets that were the staple diet. I've pulled that one out into a betta cup for now,and am feeding it a crumbled corner of algae wafer.

I'm afraid to even check levels....I think I'll just go ahead and do 25% daily changes for a week to clean things up without shocking the poor fish. I have some Bacteria suppliment too- that might help matters? I still have my 2.5, I'm checking to see if I have enough line to run a little airstone and put the weak fish in the 2.5 with some pest snails to pick up leftover food. My youngest is helping with the rescue-she's taking over feeding.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't worry about the parameters, you'll only upset yourself and be tempted to be more aggressive than is good for the fish. They are, after all, acclimated to the current conditions.

Do give the filter a good clean. Use extra Prime in those water changes, and then work on cleaning the substrate and so on. The beneficial bacteria in the tank should be all right, but if you decide to make a drastic filter media change, a dose would probably not go amiss.

As for the puny one, I think supplemental feeding rather than removal might be less stressful. This is one time a breeder's net would be handy. Put it in the net. Feed separately until it fattens up.

If you can feed frozen food, brine shrimp, bloodworms , mosquito larva, that would be ideal.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a breeder box, I'll use that then. It is kind of sitting on the bottom of the cup right now, and I know it's eaten. If I do deem the media in need of changing, I have a fairly new sponge in my 38 gallon that I can cut down to size and move in...complete with BB

I'll rotate foods, to get them good and healthy. I have Shrimp based food bought for raising guppy fry, frozen bloodworms, bottom feeder pellets, algae wafers, betta bites, daphnia, mysis dried blood worms, and North Fin community pellets.

If my filtration can handle it, and I confirm them healthy, I might move them to my main tank. I recently lost my secondary filter...so I'm running a 38 gallon on a single 50g filter(150gph) right now. I'm in the market for a canister, and saving up

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The puny one died today

Still no outward sign of illness so I’m going to assume it starved/suffered from water quality and continue treating the tank as though it’s just neglected and not sick

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom