Rescued Oscar

RicksOscar

Hello,
I recently rescued an oscar that was mistakenly left behind. It was found in a very small tank in very murky water. I don’t know how long it was there ir anything else about it; that was two weeks ago. Now he is in a 10 gal tank (I know is insufficient but it’s all I had & he is only a few inches long) and doing much better. He is eating and seems to be coming along. I am however, concerned he may have ( probably does, given the conditions he was found in) various ailments that need to be addressed. Unfortunately, I know nothing about oscars. We’ve had fresh and salt tanks in the past but never oscars.
I really want to help this guy out. I need to determine what health issues need to be addressed and how to address them.
I look forward to becoming a part of this group and thank you, in advance, for all your helpful advice.

RicksOscar

Attachments

• 2E50328C-5A83-4E05-85A8-02ACE3119ABB.jpeg
    2E50328C-5A83-4E05-85A8-02ACE3119ABB.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 36
  • EA48A8A6-E0DF-4957-B51C-A04F4359AA9E.jpeg
    EA48A8A6-E0DF-4957-B51C-A04F4359AA9E.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 36

AggressiveAquatics

That’s not an Oscar. It’s an African leaf fish and they need 50 gallons minimum so not as big as an Oscar needs. His gills are red probably from ammonia poisoning. Is the tank he’s in now cycled?

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Oh yeah a leopard climbing Bush fish! I looked at getting some once. Although slow growing they need lots of plant cover and a large tank as grow to 20cm. They are predators and will eat small fish

RicksOscar

That’s not an Oscar. It’s an African leaf fish and they need 50 gallons minimum so not as big as an Oscar needs. His gills are red probably from ammonia poisoning. Is the tank he’s in now cycled?
Thank you for responding, AggressiveAquatics. I really I had no idea this isn't an oscar but an African Leaf Fish, so thank you for that info.
As for cycling - I'd say no. I've done regular water changes, checked ph and temperature but that's about it.
His gills only appear red on one side and also seems to protrude a bit when he breaths.
I was initially worried mostly about getting him in a tank with clean, filtered water with a heater; the tank I found him in had no heater, either.
This is why I've reached out to this group; appears I need a lot of advice.

Tell me, how were you able to identify him/her as an African Leaf Fish?

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

There's allot of fish nerds on the forum who know allot of different fish ;)

It will be good for you to get some kind of water test kit so you can check the ammonia nitrite and nitrate as you are cycling the tank now.

If I were you I would do 50% water changes with dechlorinated water every day or so untill you can check the water with the kit.

This will keep harmful fish waste in the water at a low level to help the leaf fish recover.

Also research about the fish species you have and the nitrogen cycle in general so you can give him or get the best life. It's amazing you have rescued it from certain death allready :)

RicksOscar

Thank you so much for your helpful advice. I’ve been changing the water regularly but not every day; I’ll start doing that.
Should I be on the lookout for injuries and/or ailments? The top of his face appears to be somewhat collapsed. I don’t know if that is a typical feature of this fish or if it’s sick. The right side gill appears to bubble out a bit when he breathes too. Not sure what to attend to first.
Thanks again

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ouse
  • Question
Replies
Views
JaidWS
Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy