Rescued Goldfish With Fungal Disease, Need Help!

littlesnete

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, this is going to be slightly long winded, so I apologize in advance. I just like to be as detailed as I can!

I won 5 goldfish at the fair (the carnie basically told me they flush all the ones they don't give away, so I tried to win as many as I could). When I got them home, I noticed that 3 of them looked a little stressed/weak, but didn't think too much of it. I then noticed that most of them have white fuzzy spots on them, some worse than others. I ordered Sulfaplex online, it just came in today. Unfortunately, 3 didn't make it (there was a teeny tiny one who died the first night, I knew he wasn't going to make it. One was the most afflicted with white fuzzy spots, and he died suddenly after being fine all day, the other looked fine but never unclamped his fins, and I guessed that he wouldn't make it). The remaining fish have only BARELY maybe a hint of a fuzzy spot, which I'm guessing is a fungal infection. These guys are SUPER hardy, and seem to be best friends; they swim everywhere together and love playing in the bubbles. They swim all day long, so I have high hopes for them! I'm going to treat them for the fungal infection, but because of the absolute SUDDEN deaths of the other fish, I'm also guessing they have parasites. I have prazipro coming in on Wednesday.

Here are their tank specs, until I get my 300 gallon pond for them set up:

- 29G, unheated, with an air stone (powered by a Whisper 40), and an AquaClear 50 Filter.
- Pretty heavily planted
- Water change schedule: Every other day, with liquid testing every day to keep an eye on ammonia
- Black diamond sand substrate; they LOVE sifting through it looking for food morsels

DISCLAIMER: Before anyone tries to tell me, I know they don't belong in this tank long term, but it was the only tank I had set up at the time. This is short term, just until their pond is set up. They are 2 inches long, so they have a lot of room to swim around in for the time being (my deadline for getting them out is 1-2 months).

So now that all of the information is out of the way, here are my questions:

1. I can barely see the fungal spots on these fish, and one of them doesn't even have any. How long should I continue treatment of Sulfaplex? The instructions on the box say "2-3 measures for every 10 gallons, every 3 days, until symptoms subside."

2. Can I treat them for parasites as soon as I get the medicine? Or should I wait until I finish the Sulfaplex, however long that will be? If so, how long should I wait to start Prazipro?

BONUS QUESTION:

3. Does anyone have experience with Prazipro? How intense is it? I have a betta that I've suspected having chronic fin rot but just hasn't gotten better, he's small and thin and always has been. Would it be harmful to treat a betta for parasites if he doesn't have any?

If you took the time to read all of this, thank you so much. This is my first time dealing with fish disease (besides SBD and fin rot), so it feels a lot like level 2, haha. Any tips or advice would be helpful!

SaveThemAll1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi,I Appreciate that you save them! About the parasites, i think you should try to understand exactly what symptoms are present. are there any symptoms for internal parasites? like white or stringy poo?
are there any visble signs for external parasites o the fish?
about the fungus,does it look the same as it was when you began treatment? is it getting better?

littlesnete

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,I Appreciate that you save them! About the parasites, i think you should try to understand exactly what symptoms are present. are there any symptoms for internal parasites? like white or stringy poo?
are there any visble signs for external parasites o the fish?
about the fungus,does it look the same as it was when you began treatment? is it getting better?
They both have white/stringy poo, but I don't really know what goldfish poo should look like...? I've heard that most goldfish owners say their goldfishs' poop is always white and weird.

As for the fungus, I haven't seen much improvement, but it's only been 1 day with the treatment. And they each only have 1 spot, and that spot is seriously small, think like the size of a large grain of sea salt. Maybe smaller.

SaveThemAll1

Valued Member
Reaction score
No, if people saying theyr goldfih akways have white poo its beacause they mistreaating them. goldfish poo supposed to in the color of theyr food{most of the time borwn-green-reddish} and its supposed to be relativley short and thick

SaveThemAll1

Valued Member
Reaction score
the "first line" treatment for the poop is to fast them for 3 days and feed them with deshelled peas for another 3 days. if theyr condition seem bad{very thin and lethargic] them maybe you shoud start with a medication. white poo can be caused by a few reasons,I have good exp using Metronidazole,but some are saying that its more suitble for treating bacteria then parasites, although you dont know for sure that bacteria isnt the cause. I think you should also make sure that the food you are feeding is good. a good goldfish food will contain a relativley high percent of plant matter and spirulina alegae. what food are you feeding?

littlesnete

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm feeding them Omega One Goldfish sinking pellets and frozen brine shrimp. I started Sulfaplex on Sunday. Currently one of my fish has gotten more and more lethargic and is now sitting at the top of the tank, looking like he's trying to breathe the air or just gulping. He swims every now and again. I don't know what to do for them anymore, please help! Every one of them died in the same way (fine at first, then lethargic and up at the top of the tank, then dead). I don't know what to do.

Should I stop feeding them? Should I stop fungal infection treatment and treat for parasites immediately?

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can combine sulfa with methylne blue or a bath of M blue if the fungus is really bothing you. But yeah, you got the right idea, bacteria is the enemy not fungus, it only helps the dead tail skin fall off.
In nature, fungus dosent kill a tree, it eats the dead log and turns it into energy for other trees, its how nature works, fungus is not our enemy but friend.

I would stop feeding them until they are floating normally and pooping normally.
Keep water spotless clean, no ammonia. Let the antibiotics work, sulfa is slow but its dependable, it WILL work.

littlesnete

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you. Unfortunately the one who was doing bad passed away last night. We just buried him. I have one left who is swimming normally and seems good. I'll take your advice and stop feeding him. Would 3 days do the trick?

Also, I'm not even sure if my last fish has fungus. I'm more worried about internal parasites now. The box says sulfa works against protozoan infections. Should I combine it with anything else to make sure he lives?

littlesnete

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also, I feel bad that he's in there all by himself. Would it be a crazy idea to get him a friend? Or just wait until the pond is finished? That could take a few months though.

littlesnete

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
UPDATE: The last fish has green poo! He's been eating the plants, apparently lol. I guess I'll just keep an eye on him for now!

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I can’t add much to this, but don’t get him a friend quite yet lol. He’s still sick and will get any other goldies you add in there with him sick too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom