Rescued Goldfish: Ideal Vitamins And Minerals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jameseyy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I rescued a comet goldfish today and knowing that it had a terrible upbringing (stunted growth - its 5 inches and apparently over 2 years old), I want to make sure it gets excellent care from now on.

It has been kept in a 15-litre aquarium (5 gallons) and the idiotic owner had an air pump blowing air into a cage containing filter media, thinking that was doing the job. There was no oxygenation and the owner did not do regular water changes. The tank was vulgar when it arrived at my house (post 'cleaning') and I couldn't put the poor thing back in the tank until I cleaned it up a bit. I'm keeping him in the abomination-of-an-aquarium for now, until I go and buy a nice 40 gallon for him tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to cycle the tank with the fish inside, but that can't be worse than what it was previously kept in.

I'm going to ensure that this fish gets the utmost care from now on. Including a very good diet. Which is why I have been researching the dietary requirements of goldfish, finding that a goldfish of this size should have a diet consisting of 45% protein, 5-10% fat and little to no carbs or fibre (I'm not sure about the carbs part, I'm going to do some more research there). The only thing I haven't been able to find are the essential vitamins and minerals I need t make sure it gets. Does anyone know anything about this? I can't find anything on the internet; it's extremely difficult to come by the information lol.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What kind of goldie is it?

Extra vitamins and such shouldn't be necessary - a high quality and varied diet will provide everything he needs.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What kind of goldie is it?

Extra vitamins and such shouldn't be necessary - a high quality and varied diet will provide everything he needs.
It's a comet.
I'm not sure about vitamins but I know that you should feed a variety of foods like zucchini and lettuce.

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could, if you don’t want a tank just for it, find someone with a goldfish pond?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kudos to you for rescuing the poor thing! Unfortunately the 40 gallon will only last for a while. He will eventually need a 10oG tank. I have 2 commons going in a pond as soon as it warms up a bit. They can grow over a foot. I feed mine New Life Spectrum and all my Goldie’s do great on it. Gives them good shine and color. I also feed them peas and cucumber. Every now and then I give them freeze dried brine shrimp too. I am enclosing a pic of my 6” Goldie and my new pond that will soon be his home.

Attachments

Mr.Mang09

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I hear people praising omega one, new life sprectum, and hikari, so id say look into those.

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd go with a slowly sinking goldfish pellet food by omega one or new life spectrum. There are also gel food recipes that hardcore goldfish keepers make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom