rescued Glofish

Discussion in 'Glofish' started by bnelson, Dec 25, 2012.

1. b

bnelson New Member Member

Hello. I'm currently keeping a rescued Glofish in 3.5 gallon filtered tank, 78 degrees, gravel and a few plastic plants and cycled with Safestart. I understand that for long term optimal care Glofish are best in schools of 6, in 20+ gallons. But for the time being in this situation I'm assuming the bioload will be ok for a 1" fish in 3.5 gallon tank? What percentage of water change is recommended for a single fish in this size aquarium? Currently the glofish is very healthy, appears unstressed and doing very well after being taken from an extremely overcrowded tank. Thanks!

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

Bioload wise, the tank size is fine, but do to the activity level and schooling needs of these fish, it is a bit of a problem (but you already know that ;)). I'd say 50% just because the tank is on the small side, however, you could probably get away with a bit less.

3. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks. much appreciated.

4. Akari_32

Sure thing :)

5. OP
    OP
    b

Do you think the glofish would benefit with the addition of another glofish for the time being, or should I give it as much swimming room as allowable while its in its current tank size?

6. Akari_32

I'd leave it alone until you can get a larger tank. At least a 20 long. PetCo is having their famous $1 per gallon sale starting tomorrow. I'd jump on that :)

7. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

I agree with Akari, once you have a 20 gallon or more you can add around 6-10 glofish (although they cost more than normal danios).

Good luck!

8. Akari_32

You need to buy more Glofish, really, just more danios of the Zebra and Leopard varieties. They school together.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice