10 Gallon Tank Rescued female betta

mothskip

Hello! I've had an empty fully cycled 10 gallon that's been sitting in my room for months, and I was never quite sure what to do with it.

Recently though, a relative of one of my good friends decided to rehome her betta who was living in a small bowl with poor water conditions, and since I had a free tank, I offered to take her off her hands.

She looks a lot like my current female betta, but is a bit bigger with a more muted red and a few black dots. The former owner said that the dots had always been there, but I assume the muted color is due to the conditions she was living in. She looks decently healthy despite her circumstances, but she is very lethargic and skittish.

I'll try to get a picture of her whenever I can, but she's hiding, and I don't want to stress her out even more.

Does anyone have any tips? I've never rescued a fish before and I don't want to let her die.

Thanks!!

Shambhalaubie

Thank you for taking this fish to a new home, out of the terrible conditions it was living in. I would treat this fish much like any I bring home from my LFS. Acclimating the fish, then adding to the aquarium and monitor for a while. I am sure the fish will be skittish for a while, as it will need to get used to it's new surroundings/home. Give it some time, and see what happens. Maybe add some SeaChem Stress Guard in for good measure? But that is all I can think of, considering the aquarium is cycled already, for you to do. Perhaps someone else with more experience can chime in if there is something else I didn't think of, or correct me if I am wrong. On a side note, what is the aquarium decorated with?

mothskip

Thank you for taking this fish to a new home, out of the terrible conditions it was living in. I would treat this fish much like any I bring home from my LFS. Acclimating the fish, then adding to the aquarium and monitor for a while. I am sure the fish will be skittish for a while, as it will need to get used to it's new surroundings/home. Give it some time, and see what happens. Maybe add some SeaChem Stress Guard in for good measure? But that is all I can think of, considering the aquarium is cycled already, for you to do. Perhaps someone else with more experience can chime in if there is something else I didn't think of, or correct me if I am wrong. On a side note, what is the aquarium decorated with?
Thank you for the reply! I put some stress guard in a few hours ago, so hopefully that helps a bit. I have some wisteria, anubias, and I believe some moneywart growing, along with one piece of driftwood, two medium rocks, and aqua soil + gravel substrate. It's looking a little barren at the moment, and I would eventually like to get more plants to improve the look and provide more hiding places. Currently, the fish has taken a liking to the small area behind my sponge filter.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RJsFishes
Replies
Views
Cynpeterson
Replies
Views
fishbreeeder
Replies
Views