Rescued Crowntail Betta? Fin rot, or not?

califus

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gal
How long has the tank been running? 7 days
Does it have a filter? Yes, sponge
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 1 small male betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every other day currently
How much of the water do you change? Probably 20-40% depending
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime to neutralize any ammonia currently, but note that water is RO water.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Right now just the water.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No, I was not able to.
What do you use to test the water? API Master kit.
What are your parameters?
Ammonia: ~1ppm as of yesterday's test, I did a large 40% water change with RO water.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 1-2 a day
How much do you feed your fish? small amounts currently, 1-2 NLS betta pellets in the morning, and 1-2 frozen bloodworms in the evening

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 5 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 5 days
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Fish appears to be a small crowntail betta (I think?!). I've tried to just keep stress as low as possible and control the ammonia as best as possible to see what happens with him since he was shy and hiding a lot. Seems the fins are a bit off. Dorsal fin is kind of curled which could be clamping but I've seen him flare and it still doesn't seem quite right. Tail seems a bit extra ragged but despite my googling I can't be sure either way of what I'm looking at.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No. Stress Guard, Stability, Prime.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I don't know.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Appearance has changed very little, but he has become more active.

I rescued this betta from a "come get it or we flush it" situation, from an owner who claims they bought the fish at a "local pet store", put it in a 0.5gal GloFish tank (?) for 2 weeks, decided it's boring and not pretty and wants a more interactive fish. I had an empty 5gal I was just beginning to cycle at home for quarantines as it's almost new fish time, so I go get the fish. They hand it over in a 1.5gal bag of *freezing* cold water. I am not exaggerating. It was as cold as a pop/soda out of the fridge to the touch. I think it was water directly from a water cooler or something, I have no idea how that fish didn't die immediately. I even had a 40 min drive home and I'm doing everything I can to raise the ambient temperature but not shock the fish more. Upon arrival I dumped most of this massive bag of water and began very very very slowly adding my own tank water over the course of 1 or 2 hours but coming back up to that temperature would still have been a shock no matter what. They gave me his food with him but I look and it's moldy. So I don't know how they did that in 2 weeks.

He was kind of lethargic but not laying at the bottom or anything, his body was very dark and fins clamped plus a lot of hiding so since I didn't see anything extremely alarming, I left it be and tried to just help him with clean water, live plants, almond leaves, minimal stress. I have done many fishless cycles but never a fish-in. I've got RO water and I test his parameters every day and water change as needed. He isn't eating great, usually spitting out or seeming interested in food but passing it by. I pre-soften very small pellets and could get a bit in him, he eats a small bloodworm usually so he's not completely off his food.

I am seeing his fins a bit more now that he's becoming a bit more active and some of the tips seem curled, mildly ragged, just lacking symmetry on uniformity one would see in a crowntail. ***Pics attached*** I did see him do some big angry boi flares at himself when I tried to put a matte black divider between him and the tank beside him (there's no fish in there for him to flare at it just keeps a different light cycle). Even then I didn't see a nicely upright dorsal fin or an evening out of the folds.

IMPORTANT NOTE #1: I've kept fish for a while now in mostly low and ultra low tech tanks (I've learned a lot of lessons), and I'm not by any means an expert, but I have never kept betta. I would say I have a pretty good knowledge of them as I've been in "fish reduction mode" and hoping to house a betta someday in my heavily planted blackwater 20gal, so I've been researching them, but their behaviour still baffles me a bit when I sit and stare at them for hours everything seems like a disease! For example I have been convinced within 5 days on not only fin rot but velvet and dropsy. So. I'm a fish hypochondriac!

IMPORTANT NOTE #2: I live in Canada and as I am sure you know, we have absolutely no access to antibiotics and anti-parasitics. It is illegal to be bought online, sold, issued, prescribed, anything. I do have Kanaplex left from the before times, it technically expired last month. We don't have Maracyn, bettafix, general cure, fin and body treatment, Paraguard, etc etc etc so unfortunately those aren't options. I would Kanaplex him if the consensus here is that I should, but considering that little tank isn't cycled and he would have to go 48hrs between water changes 3 times in a row, I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

This is irrelevant but may warrant a post from me some other time - a week before this little guy came to me I had another betta fall on me. I did all the same things (he is in a 10gal) but also dosed Kanaplex as it definitely looked like he had fin rot. He had a huuuuge difference within a week - totally changed colours, big beautiful rosetail, super active, loves to eat and show off. I know betta are all different. But some part of me can't help but wonder if Kanaplex shook the "cup in a store" off him.

Thanks in advance y'all are great.

You must be registered to see images
You must be registered to see images

BigManAquatics

I can't really tell with crowntails and finrot. I always thought my crowntail had finrot(even though he really didn't), but i did water changes on his tank 5 days a week anyway cuz i could never for sure tell with him, which is why i think he jumped out cuz he was mad at me for forever changing his water.

PurityNWhiteRoses

I can't believe someone kept their betta in those conditions! :mad: Despite what he's gone through, to me, his fins look okay. Then again, I own an older-male rosetail. With age, I've noticed my boy slow down but if yours is staying in one spot for hours and not moving an inch, I'd be concerned. Bettas, for the most part, are pretty hearty. I'd give him some time before you start to worry. He's probably just recovering and becoming acclimated. Just keep an eye on him. I'm pretty sure I don't see fin rot.
I can't believe someone kept their betta in those conditions! :mad: Despite what he's gone through, to me, his fins look okay. Then again, I own an older-male rosetail. With age, I've noticed my boy slow down but if yours is staying in one spot for hours and not moving an inch, I'd be concerned. Bettas, for the most part, are pretty hearty. I'd give him some time before you start to worry. He's probably just recovering and becoming acclimated. Just keep an eye on him. I'm pretty sure I don't see fin rot.
I think the asymmetry is just because of breeding. He looks pretty healthy to me. An over-view picture would be helpful just to check that he doesn't have dropsy.

Rose of Sharon

He is a very pretty boy!!! So glad that you rescued him!

He must be somewhat hardy since he did not succumb after going from horrible water conditions in a 0.5 gallon to being in the freezing cold water for transport. I agree with the other posters that he looks pretty healthy. I can't see signs of fin rot. I don't think that I would dose with kanaplex at this time. After all that he has been through, that would just be adding more stress.

(How dare they say he is boring! And they really were going to just flush him. :( ...)

I would just do small water changes every other day. The Indian almond leaves will help. I know that you are cycling, but that shouldn't affect your cycle.

You can always over dose the Prime water conditioner to take care of any ammonia/nitrite spikes.

You are doing a great job with him!!!! :)

califus

Thanks y'all! I feel better. I also just figured some of his "endearing" traits could be genetics - I don't think this guy came from any prize-winners given where I found him. I also honestly don't even know what to think of his back story and if it's true but it doesn't really matter! I'll leave him be. Aside from bothering him with daily/EOD water changes...

Here's some above photos if anyone is interested. I happen to be sitting in the kitchen where he lives, and I'm not usually here, and he's being quite active. The day I picked him up his body was so dark I honestly couldn't tell if he had intact eyes lol and I can now see some shimmer coming onto his body so maybe he is getting happier?

Again really, thank you everyone for curing my fish anxiety. Unless of course you spot something else...

PurityNWhiteRoses

Officially I can say he’s dropsy-free! Good luck with him!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
TatianaV
Replies
Views
Katco
Replies
Views
Aquariumlover1357
Replies