Rescued Cory Without Fins Or Tail

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by jamisonkp, Apr 20, 2017.

1. jamisonkpNew MemberMember

My mom just rescued a Cory from Walmart and they had him in with fish that nipped fins. He is missing most of his fins and tail but his barbells are still intact. We currently have him in a observation tank as we don't want to put him with our other cories in case he is sick. We were wondering if his fins will grow back and if there is anything we can do to help him. And also how long we should keep him in quarantine before joining him with our other cories.

2. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Fins can grow back. I'd be watching very closely for infection. At least 2 weeks in quarantine.

3. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Clean water! That is the best for him. Unless it gets infected there is no need to medicate the tank. Otherwise keep him in quartine until his fins grown back which they should, and that will also keep him separated long enough to make sure he doesn't have any disease before he got nipped. Some people suggest up to 2 months in quartine but I could never last that long...

4. meyowmeowValued MemberMember

Can you post some pics to see the damage?

5. jamisonkpNew MemberMember

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Was it in with African cichlids ?
    Clean water, maybe with esha 2000 to prevent fungussing.
    apart from the dorsal it does seem to be full / wellfed + barbells are there.
    think about other / no substrate

7. jamisonkpNew MemberMember

My mom thinks they were either Rasbora or Ruby sharks. I wasn't there and the store did not have good lables and they had no idea which fish should be kept together.
    Thank you!

8. meyowmeowValued MemberMember

I agree with @DoubleDutch - looks healthy other than the nipping :)

9. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Hey man kudos to your family for rescuing the cory. Corydoras are really fun. Like people say here keep an eye on him, though the rocks are concerning for his fu-man chu...

10. jamisonkpNew MemberMember

Yeah the tank he is currently in now was for my old beta who recently passed. We weren't planning on getting the Cory so we didn't switch to sand yet.
    Corydora's are probably my favorite fish, they're so interesting to watch.
    Thanks!

11. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Owweee poor baby... hope he gets better. Clean water is vital at that point. But he does look fat and healthy. I wouldn't worry *too* much about disease.

12. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Be aware of Coryditis. Otherwise you will have multiple tanks soon.

Put a flat stone in, so it can rest on that / get its food from that for the time being I'd say.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice