Rescued Black Moor

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Desiree, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Desiree

Desiree Valued Member Member

I have a rescued black moor goldfish that was in the wrong kind of rank and was attacked by a pleco. The goldfish lost an eye and almost her whole tail. It was a frayed mess. She lost quite a bit of her slime coat and scales. She has been in a small hospital tank by herself for about 2 or 3 weeks. Her scales have healed, her eye socket has healed over and her tail is looking better but there's not much there. She has a hard time swimming straight and spends a lot of time trying to not float tail up.

Is there any chance with good care that her tail will regrow or am I just continuing the torture?

She has a good appetite.

What do you think? Thanks so much

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Personally I'm not a big fan of taking in injured fish like that. But if it's eating I'd think it's OK. Goldfish are pigs as you may or may not already know. And the tail SHOULD grow back if you take proper care of the fish. Just curious, what size tank will it go in when it's (hopefully) fully healed?

3. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

Well, I think it was noble of you to try to help that goldfish, Desiree. If there's a chance it could recover and have a life - then kudos to you for taking it out of a dangerous environment. I think only time will tell if it's tail will heal enough. Whatever happens, you know you did what you could for it.

4. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Good on you. I can't tell you how many times I wish I could do that. If it is just the fin that is shredded it should heal with LOTS of clean water. If the tail muscle itself, deeper then the fin, is damaged from what I've heard that exact area won't grow back. My ram got a chunk of his fin taken off but it grew back in no time. But MattS99 is right. Even black moors need a 30g tank minimum plus space for other (if you have any) fish.

5. OP
    OP
    Desiree

Desiree Valued Member Member

Thanks everyone. I do not plan on keeping the fish if/when it heals because I don't have the means to. I live in a very small house and the largest tank I have for her is 20 gallons which I know is not enough. So hopefully with keeping a good eye out for water quality it will do for now.

Is there anything I can add to the water than might help the healing process?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice