Rescued Betta

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi So I just rescued a betta today.
It's from the aquarium of a friend from where I work on cleanings each week, and I noticed it wasn't doing too well.
Here's a photo of the betta.
IMG_1814.JPG

He doesn't have it on a great diet.
The fish has some large bloating going on, and it's my job to cure it.
My treatments are as follows.

Today: Setting up a hospital for it, clean water with established media.
I am going to see how his behaviors change, and possibly start on an Epsom Salt bath. His water will be medicated with a light trace of AQ salt and daily water changes. He's staying in a three gallon tank

Tomorrow: I will feed him a pea to take down his bloating issue, and see if he'll eat light foods after that. I will move him onto a better diet of frozen and meaty foods. He's currently eating TopFin Betta Food, which isn't great.

His name is Spooler, named after a turbo powered truck
I will let you know how it goes!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
emmysjj said:
Aww! I'm glad he's with you now :emoji_heart:
Thanks I am finding him another fish to keep in his 10 gallon, we're thinking a small schooler that he can care for.

EDIT: I was going to ask my mom to take me up to PetCo to return some reptile water bowls, and use the credit to buy another tank for him, a filter and medications, but I just remembered I have an unused 10 gallon, with a QuietFlow!

I will go to PetCo this week to get some extra medications and some food.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Smalltownfishfriend said:
That's great!! I can not wait to see how he does!! Keep us posted!!
Definitely He's being acclimated to his new 10 gallon
IMG_1815.JPG

I'll go out this week for more plants!

Attachments

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He's not eating his pea I even soaked it garlic juice for him.
Maybe I need to continue with the Epsom Salt baths every day until he's not bloating anymore, then feed him a pea.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update - 5/2/18

Doing another Epsom bath again, the same amount of time.
I am continuing to do this daily, and clean his water.
While he's soaking, I will be cleaning the 10 gallon halfway down.

The water is warm now, he used to live in a freezing tank, which is the cause of his bloating.
I will try the pea again, but most likely won't do any food until his bloat eases down.
Here's my betta schedule

Diet:
Day 1 - OO Micro Pellets
Day 2 - Frozen Brine Shrimp
Day 3 - OO Micro Pellets
Day 4 - Freeze Dried Bloodworms
Day 5 - OO Micro Pellets
Day 6 - Freeze Dried Shrimp
Day 7 - Boiled Pea
Day 8 - Resting

Water:
20G - Sunday
10G - Daily
5G - Thursday
2.5G - Thursday

Lighting:
8 AM - 6 PM

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aww what a cutie! He's in good hands now, at least. Just a warning: depending on the model of QuietFlow, the intake may suck his rays up. If you have the kind with the square grid on the intake, then you'll be fine, but if you have the kind with the longer rectangles, I would get a Fluval intake sponge (it fits perfectly over the intake)

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lilabug4545 said:
Aww what a cutie! He's in good hands now, at least. Just a warning: depending on the model of QuietFlow, the intake may suck his rays up. If you have the kind with the square grid on the intake, then you'll be fine, but if you have the kind with the longer rectangles, I would get a Fluval intake sponge (it fits perfectly over the intake)
Thanks!
I do not have the intake that sucks fins, he has gone near it with no problems I also have one of those sponges!
Would you suggest that I do daily water changes and Epsom baths? I just finished his second bath, he's acclimating back into the tank.

He's not eating still, bloated, and he doesn't close his mouth all the way.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He is not going to eat, let him alone for a few days and let his bloat go down, then worry about feeding once it is gone, I picked up a severely bloated double tail and let him alone for five days to allow him to naturally pass the bloat and recover (I do not feed peas, they are a laxative and do not offer the fish anything useful that a proper diet does, a good diet plan will prevent bloat, the dt gets fed three times a week, my other bettas get fed 4-5 times a week).

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mcasella said:
He is not going to eat, let him alone for a few days and let his bloat go down, then worry about feeding once it is gone, I picked up a severely bloated double tail and let him alone for five days to allow him to naturally pass the bloat and recover (I do not feed peas, they are a laxative and do not offer the fish anything useful that a proper diet does, a good diet plan will prevent bloat, the dt gets fed three times a week, my other bettas get fed 4-5 times a week).
Thanks for this advice! I will let him be to himself for a few days.
Should I continue with the baths?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fanatic said:
Thanks for this advice! I will let him be to himself for a few days.
Should I continue with the baths?
I wouldn't do them every single day as it can cause stress (it draws out moisture/fluids which is why Epsom helps a fish dealing with dropsy), every other day while fasting him, and don't add aquarium salt into the water, it does the opposite of epsom.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mcasella said:
I wouldn't do them every single day as it can cause stress (it draws out moisture/fluids which is why Epsom helps a fish dealing with dropsy), every other day while fasting him, and don't add aquarium salt into the water, it does the opposite of epsom.
I didn't add aquarium salt, I mistakenly said that I would, sorry.
Alright, I won't do a bath tomorrow, just every other day. I finished doing a 50% water change now.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I went to PetCo for medications, but I forgot which ones I needed.
Anyways, these silk plants caught my eye
IMG_1834.JPG

They are really soft! Guaranteed that I won't have to worry about them cutting fins.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
@Mcasella
Updates for today!

I offered him a pellet, which is my way of seeing if he’ll eat or not. He chased the pellet down, and ate it! I then fed him his pea, he ate three small pieces!

I won’t be feeding him for a couple of days, and seeing if he recovers! My dad is picking up some black sand, and I will be adding the plants and decorations today

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom