Question Rescued angel fish

p3t3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have just rescued a marble angelfish along with 2 clown loaches, 2 cat fish (that I am yet to identify) and 7 neon tetras that were being kept in a 15litre tank! My question is.. The angel fish's dorsal fin is bent in an arc(I asume because it was aprox same hight as the water level) Will this ever right itself or is it something it will have to live with for the rest of it's life?
P.S. they are all now in a 200litre tank.

Tonia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore Peter!!! I'm so happy to hear that you rescued the fish, that was an extremely tiny tank for them.

I'm not sure if the fin will totally repair, but time will tell... I do know that their living arrangements sound 100 times better than the previous one you've described.

p3t3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cheers, I'm hoping that now it can actually swim around that exercise may improve it's dorsal fin. They are all swimming around like fish instead of just lurking like zombies.

luke355027355027

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It could be something along the lines of a muscle being bent and it mght straighten itself out or it could be a bone deformity as said before time will tell.

Do you know how long the fish was in the 15 litre tank?

p3t3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A good 3 years from what I could get out of the prev owner. I only went there to buy a tank for small fry but when I got there the woman then asked me if I wanted to take the fish. I have no idea what she was planning on doing with them if I had said no. Down the toilet no doubt!

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Wow. That has to be one of the worst conditions I've heard of!

Being kept in such cramped conditions for 3 years may have caused damage as well as stunting the fish.

Sounds like the angel's dorsal has permanent damage. Can you post pictures of the fish? Can see if anything can be done.

Good luck with your many rescues. Kudos to you!

p3t3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
About 12cm in hight not including the ventrals. here's a pic. IMG_1859.jpg and yes the pic is upright and he/she spends 90% of time at this angle! I may be being optomistic but I'm starting to think it has got less arched over the last week since being moved from quarantine and into the main tank.

Last edited:

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Fairly bad fin deformities on that angel....as expected. There is nothing that I know of to correct it at this point. You will see some improvement over time, but not much.

I am shocked that there isn't more of a belly. Caused by the internal organs growing faster than the body.

Oh, you have a girl BTW. And still a great rescue!

p3t3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fairly bad fin deformities on that angel....as expected. There is nothing that I know of to correct it at this point. You will see some improvement over time, but not much.

I am shocked that there isn't more of a belly. Caused by the internal organs growing faster than the body.

I had worked out she was a she, but only because she's been laying eggs on the side of the tank! And just to keep you up to date they are all loving the new space.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
That's great news! Spawning is an indication that she is very happy and already settling in.

Hope you get many years of enjoyment from them!

p3t3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll be honest, I never realy wanted an angel fish! But I am already growing fond of this disheveled lady and wondering if I should treat her to a mate!
I thought you could only tell what sex they were by the broad or pointed genital orifice when spawning. Catsma how did you know with such an awful photo can you give me some tips if I do decide to look for a male.

p3t3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here you go, but I ain't much good at takin pics.She does seem to be swimin a bit more upright. And here's a pic of the eggs that she has now eaten to recycle all those nutrients. IMG_1960.jpg IMG_1950.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom