Important Rescued a Betta and I Need Help

Lauraaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone,

Just to start off here's my water parameters using master test kit for a 3 gallon tank:

Temperature: 81 F
PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

Long story short, today I saw a beautiful Betta in poor condition at pet store and made a quick decision to purchase. He was laying on his side sprawled out at the bottom of the cup, eyes cloudy with one having scales growing over it and some fin rot but not severe.

Got him and put him in an old 3 gallon, put media from one of my other tanks into a filter + acclimated him. I have the tank bare bottom right now and then I have a bunch of Java ferns in there for him to lay on.

He is extremely lethargic, drifts + has trouble swimming, just lays on the leaves and goes up for air. It looks like it's extremely difficult for him to swim around. He just sits in the Java ferns and it seems like he is breathing pretty heavily. I thought he was blind at first because his eyes look so bad, but he has flared at his reflection a few times. But yeah, he is lethargic, drifts in the water, and looks like he has alot of trouble swimming.

I have another Betta who is extremely energetic and in good health, I see a stark contrast and something is definitely wrong with my new little guy. I purchased him to hopefully heal him as he clearly was in bad shape in the store.

I'll attach some photos below of him. I'm really just looking for some advice on how to help this guy. I have been fishkeeping for a year but I've never bought a fish in such bad shape, I need some advice and thank you in advance.

If you need any information at all or have any questions for me please ask!!!! Thank you

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 2.42.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 2.42.54 AM.png

thefishn00b

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
he might have swim badder disease and the cloudy eyes are from poor water conditions probably from being in the cup way to long or during shipment. for the Fin Rot i would get almond leaves i like Carib Sea 3 pack Link:
i hope this helps with your beautiful betta!. PS: the almond leaves turn the water a light brown color which is normal! it also naturally lowers the PH and mimics the enviroment that a betta would be found in.

OP
Lauraaac

Lauraaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thefishn00b said:
he might have swim badder disease and the cloudy eyes are from poor water conditions probably from being in the cup way to long or during shipment. for the Fin Rot i would get almond leaves i like Carib Sea 3 pack Link:
i hope this helps with your beautiful betta!
Thanks for the reply!! I some almond leaves I have for my other Betta but I have been so preoccupied with the new guy today, I didn't think to put any in :wideyed: I'm happy to hear they may help! Do you think that the eyes may heal on their own after being in better water condition?

And thank you!

thefishn00b

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
sorry i forgot to add this but i think why he is breathing so heavy is due to stress?

OP
Lauraaac

Lauraaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thefishn00b said:
sorry i forgot to add this but i think why he is breathing so heavy is due to stress?
I think it may be, his environment has drastically changed

thefishn00b

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lauraaac said:
Thanks for the reply!! I some almond leaves I have for my other Betta but I have been so preoccupied with the new guy today, I didn't think to put any in :wideyed: I'm happy to hear they may help! Do you think that the eyes may heal on their own after being in better water condition?

And thank you!
i dont know about the eyes though but i will link a website that will help you a lot!

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
He's beautiful and I hope he gets better. :) I imagine physical and emotional stress. Best wishes for both of you!!!

OP
Lauraaac

Lauraaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
juniperlea said:
He's beautiful and I hope he gets better. :) I imagine physical and emotional stress. Best wishes for both of you!!!
Thanks so much <3

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope this all works out for you and your fish. Will look forward to reading positive updates. Other than the poor condition, that is a very nice looking betta.

OP
Lauraaac

Lauraaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Update for today:

he’s moved into my planted 10 gallon and the water parameters are the same as the OP.

i started treating him by putting aquarium salt in the tank and that seemed to help his behaviour a little. He also had 1/4 of a pea and he ate one bloodworm

he mostly just sits like this, suspended in the water. He swims erratically too just to suspend himself. I’d really love to hear any suggestions of what else to door if there’s any medicine that can help him.

Attachments

New Threads