Rescued 4 bettas

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by damprye, Mar 29, 2010.

1. d

damprye Valued Member Member

Ok I am a really bad influence on people I think.
    After hearing that I was going to start breeding Bettas one of my friends decided she wanted to do the same and so she brought her first betta online, a Half Moon male and she also got three more from a LSF (Veiltails M,M,F) and tried breeding the HM with the female in a tiny 1g tank and after her HM got savaged she decided to call it quits and asked me to rescue them as she knows I have the facilities atm and am about to buy another tank and divide two of them.
    They are in tiny little "betta tanks" that the LSF advised her to get (about a 1g divided 3 ways :'() and the other in the 1g she tried to breed them in, after informing herself on bettas she decided it was to cruel to keep them in there but that is another reason they are now mine.
    The HM is looking very poorly and one of the other boys has some weird looking growths on the two front fins, the other two are not too bad but they are rather stressed atm.
    Any advice on them would be great.

Attached Files:

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'm glad your friend was wise enough to pass them along to you. They are beautiful and I'm sure they're already feeling the good fishie karma in your home. :;hug2

3. hooxeii

hooxeii Well Known Member Member

Could you get a closer picture of the growths on the one male? Would be easier to tell what they are that way...

Glad to hear these guys have a nice, new home.

4. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Glad to hear you rescued them, seems the little girl is a bit stressed though. I hope you get them right back on track, they are lovely little fish!
    Just look after them, some Stress Coat can't hurt, and some Vita-Chem for now.

5. b

broncosno1 New Member Member

the one looks like tiger one of my females. pretty fish. its hard work raising my babies in 2 1/2 gallon tanks. the tanks get dirty as it is with one fish alone i cant imagine having 3 fish in 1 gallon of water. glad to hear your fish are gonna be happy now with their new owner.

6. OP
    OP
    d

While I am setting up their new homes they are going to have to stay in those sad little holes but I brought some tiny little plants for them and it looks a little nicer now and so do the fish :) and yes they are all stressed, her bars were especially dark for a while there too and even th HM (the one with all the eaten fins, second one down) has the stress bars, they have brightened up alot now but I can't wait till I can put them in their new home, maybe the HM will grow his fins back and look as beautiful as he once did.

Attached Files:

7. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

What a wonderful thing you have done.....Little lady needs some food ASAP she is extremely thin....

8. TFA101

TFA101 Well Known Member Member

I agree with MM.. she looks pretty bad. Hope that you can get them all back into good health.

I must ask though, did your friend look over what betta breeding was all about? Or was it just a failed "prepared" breeding? Just curious...

Great to see you took these bettas on such a short notice! I hope they all flourish in your care. :)

9. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I really hope they get better. Glad to hear the stress is going away, this will be a massive help to them if they relax a bit.
    Keep us updated and can't wait to see them when they're fully recovered, they are lovely fish!

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Damprye,

Best wishes for a full speedy recovery! Please keep us posted.

Ken

11. OP
    OP
    d

She definately over looked what betta breeding involves and was not the least bit prepared, although she was feeding them bloodworms but that was all.

Yes they do look quite skinny but are now on a brine shrimp and pellets diet. I can't wait to see what they will look like when they are healthy :)

12. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Glad you were there for the rescue! Hope they all get well soon. Best of luck to you Damprye! :;hf

13. OP
    OP
    d

The HM is now in his own 20g tank, with only a few "toys" so that way he doesn't hurt himself on them, so hopefully now his beautiful fins will grow back out better, he is in what will be my breeding tank and I'll be dividing my current breeding tank for them, once the fry are old enough to move out into their growout tank.

Should I feed the skinny fish twice a day instead of the once?

What the HM looks like during his feed LOL the little chubba. Sorry about the bad image quality and the dirty bottom but the next cleaning day is tomorrow. I'd get photos of the other three but they wont stay still anywhere near long enough to get even a bad pic LMAO

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  14. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

nice save! its always better to feed twice a day anyway. u use less food and its better for the fishies ^_^ hope they get better! they are all very pretty, even with sad fins

15. OP
    OP
    d

Hmm I cannot seem to get my HM to eat enough frozen food and he will not touch pellets with a 10ft pole. I would feed him live food as I used to when I was conditioning my bettas before but I should have started my own culture as nowhere near me has live food atm grrr. The poor boy is looking skinnier and skinnier and it is upsetting me alot and I just don't know what to do, I have even tried all different sorts of frozen and pellet foods, he is eating but just seems so skinny still.
    Here are pics of all 4 rescued bettas (does anyone think that the VT's may be crossed with something?) The blue boy is being shy and wont let me get a good pic of him today lol

The only one still in a small tank is the pointy boy and that is because I will be dividing the HM's tank once he has recovered.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  16. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

The female looks wonderful now! All of them do! Good job!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice