Rescue Parrot Advice

1. RabbitSnail895

RabbitSnail895 New Member Member

Hi guys,

So a few moths ago my LFS got in two beautiful Parrot cichlids, both about 4 in long. They had already paired together, and I was really hoping the store would sell them as a pair, and even voiced my opinion. It happens that they only sold one.

I've been keeping an eye on the remaining one over the last few weeks and he is slowly going down hill, very pale and lethargic. I know these are shy fish to begin with, but right after he was separated he seemed a heck of a lot better and active than he did now.

I have a 20g long sitting around and everything is ready to add and build, (don't scold me yet, read on) and if I were to get this fish I would get a 50-60g tank as soon as I can (either build or buy).

My point and question is.....
    How long would a four inch parrot last in a 20g long with 40% water changes every 2-3 days? (this is the frequency I do on my other tanks)

I'm waiting to hear back from a school I applied to and the only way I would ever go forward with getting the fish is if I didn't get accepted or my brother (who is older and financially stable and fish tank able) agreed to adopt it after I got it situated in a 50-60 g tank. And of course after asking the fish gurus on this forum.

Any input would be appreciated!
    Thanks guys!

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    I have 2 Blood Parrots at the moment as well, and I can say that they are quite unique fish.

A Blood parrot can max out at a size of 12 inches or maybe more, they are hybrids so they are unpredictable. A 20 gallon could work for a 4 inch one but these fish can grow BIG, and I suggest that you get the 60 g as soon as possible. The parrot would be much happier there.

Is your tank cycled? If it is, Doing a 40% water change once a week should be fine. Blood Parrots have deformed mouths which means they can't bite properly, however, I didn't say that it wouldn't hurt.

Choosing the right tank mates is important when it comes to this fish, and every other. What fish do you have in the 20 gallon at the moment?

3. Ed204

I forgot to mention, Good Luck! :)

4. OP
    OP
    RabbitSnail895

RabbitSnail895 New Member Member

It's not set up yet, but I have another tropical tank to take filter media from. And if it ever happened it wouldn't have any tank mates in the 20g

I personally would love to rescue the fish but in reality, I probably would not be able to give it the care it needs for the rest of it's life. Getting a large tank would be no problem, but I'm not currently living in a house where I'm going to live permanently for the next many years. The school I hope to go to is a two day drive from where I live now.

Huh, it's an ironic situation, save the fish, or use the money towards school (I'm majoring in aquarium science....)

5. Ed204

I respect the fact that you're trying to rescue the fish but if I were you in your situation I would use the money for school. Education is way more important than a hobby in my opinion.