Rescue Goldfish

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I came home today with new fish food for my rm, a new goldfish for my best friend (I'm going to keep her in my fry tub since its empty, until my friend gets her bigger tank set up), and a parking ticket. I think I got the **** end of that deal. Anyway, here's the deal on the fish:

I REALLY want a goldie tank, but I don't have room for one. My fry tub would work for them, but the only reason I can justify having that is because it won't be in use over the summer. So I have to satisfy my craving by helping out with my best friends' two goldies, Wat and Jayne (who were birthday presents from me last year... my friend wanted telescope eye goldies, so I got her a black moor and a calico fantail telescope eye), and with drooling over the goldies at the lfs's. Last night I had to go get some new filter media for my betta tank and my female guppies, and I stopped by the goldies, where I observed a pretty little pearlscale on the bottom of the tank. She (I really don't know how to sex goldies, so she is an arbitrary term) was very inactive and I felt sorry for her. The kid who was working came to feed them half an hour or so later, and she demonstrated that she was capable of swimming, she just sinks on her tail pretty quick. My mind said "swimbladder problems - I can deal with that - please can I take her home with me..." but $6.50 is more than I can currently spend on a fish. So I said something to the kid about how I wanted her but didn't know if it was worth $6.50 since she was sick. He said come back today and talk to a manager, and sure enough, I have a free fish. She's floating in my fry tank now. She's maybe 2 inches long, red and white. I'll post pictures later. I'm thinking of naming her Kaylee. I hope my friend likes her, her new tank should be big enough for 4 goldies so I'll get her the little black moor she wanted to finish off her tank.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Should I add a bit of salt or raise the temperature of the fry tub, or give Kaylee a salt bath? I wasn't able to purloin a pea from the caf tonight, to see if that helped... other than that is there anything I can do? (sorry to post on myself I'm sure someone would have answered this question anyway, I'm just impatient because she appears worse now than she did when I got her. I'm sure its just the stress of the move, but you know how it is - gotta worry about my newest baby.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think there's much that you can do. I mean, you can't treat swim bladder problems with salt or medication. :-\

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
OK thanks. We'll see how she does... My friend's fish Wat has major swimbladder problems and he is surviving perfectly well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom