Rescue--Female Betta in bad condition

1. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I went to my lfs today to pick up a few things and noticed their poor attempt at a betta sorority. 4 females together, 3 of them in perfect condition and 1 on death's door. I pointed it out to them and said I'll take her home and attempt to help her if you'll let me...and they did.

So, she's in my 2.5 minibow with heater set to 80 and some fish protector thrown in for good measure since her fins are torn to shreds and she has missing scales and is pretty badly beaten up. I didn't take a picture because I left the lights off for her to settle down. She has stress stripes running down her and is truly in horrible shape.

Any thoughts on what else I should do besides this and super clean water? I'm not running a filter because I don't want to stress her out since she's missing so much of her fins, but I do have an extra sponge from my 20 gallon I could throw in there if that would help with any ammonia??

Any advice is appreciated. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow if I can. Right now I'm just praying she makes it through the night.

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I think the daily water changes to keep the ammonia under control in a small tank like a 2.5 will stress her out MUCH more than a filter would, to be completely honest.

I'd say pristine water, Prime and maybe a little aquarium salt are your best friends in a case like this.

3. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Good point. I'll let her rest tonight and then add the filter and seeded sponge in tomorrow. Maybe I can baffle the outflow a bit so it won't push her around too much. How much aquarium salt would you suggest in this tank? I can try adding some tomorrow if you think it will help.

4. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

If you're able, I think a sponge filter would actually be ideal.

As for how much aquarium salt...I haven't used it in a while (don't even have any right now), so I don't remember what the recommended dosing is. Isn't it something like one tablespoon per five gallons or something like that? I would do maybe a teaspoon in that tank, but dissolve it first before putting it into the tank.

5. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I don't have a sponge filter, but could I make one with the sponge I've got? I do have an air pump around here somewhere. Or I could order one online but it will take some time to get here. I looked one time a while back at my lfs and they didn't have any.

6. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

You can make one out of the sponge you have.

I've made one out of a betta cup before and it worked great.

1) Get a piece of clear rubber tubing that is the same diameter as the hole in the top of the betta cup (the Petsmart cups work best, but you can just cut the lid of any betta cup...you can get the tubing at the hardware store...they usually sell it by the foot...you only need about 6" or so, probably less) and, with the lid on the betta cup, slip the tubing through the top hole.

2) Lift up one side of the lid, keeping the tubing as much in place as you can, and pour in a handful of gravel (cycled gravel from an established tank works best), making sure that the bottom of the tubing isn't touching the bottom of the cup.

3) Then stuff sponge, blue filter pad, or poly fiber fill (like you put in pillows...just make sure it's new and has never been used) in the rest of the cup until it's full. Replace the lid, then take your airline tubing with an air stone on the end of it and slide it down the tube.

4) Plug in your air pump and Voila! Instant sponge filter that is all nice and tidy.

I can try to find a pic of the one I made, if you want.

7. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Thanks! I'll try to see what I can come up with tomorrow to help her. I appreciate the help!

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Poor thing. Good thing you got her out of there.
    Pristine water as mentioned above along with Garlic Guard and Vita-Chem to help her immune system.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

9. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

007.jpg

Here is a picture from early this morning. It appears her stress stripes are gone. My biggest concern is the apparent gash on her side near her stomach. I have added vitachem to her bloodworms this morning. I coudn't get her to take any nls pellets but she took the bloodworms from my tongs. I haven't added any aquarium salt yet, not sure if I will at this point, but I did hook up her filter and baffled it significantly and she's swimming fine. If anyone has any other advice, I'll be glad to hear it. Right now, it's just the waiting game.

10. Shine Well Known Member Member

You need to save that picture for anyone who thinks a sorority in a 10 gallon tank is a good idea, because "they are getting along soooo well" *facepalm*

If you can fend off infection it looks like she has a decent shot at recovery. That she's eating is a pretty good sign in itself given everything she's been through :)

11. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Awwww...poor baby! Looks like she was at the bottom of the pecking order. :(

I had a betta that I rescued from Petco (yes, it was a true rescue...they gave him to me) that had a gash like that, only bigger and deeper, on his side. Honestly, I put him in a tank by himself with pristine water and within a month or so, you could barely tell he'd ever had a wound (there was a slight dip where the gash had been, but that was it).

This was the betta I rescued:
    [​IMG]

That gash went all the way through to the base of his dorsal and anal fins. So, if pristine water can heal THAT bad of a gash, then it'll do wonders for your girl. :)

12. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I was thinking the same thing about photo evidence that a betta sorority is not a good idea!

Wow, if your betta could heal from that wound, I'm hoping mine can do the same!

13. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

My betta is starting to heal, but I have a concern. I have put her in a room with little activity to try and reduce her stress, but every time I go check on her or feed her, her stress stripes immediately return when she spots me. If I stand really still for a few minutes then the stripes will fade. Should I just leave her there and hope she gets used to me, or should I put her out where there is more activity to help her learn to relax even with activity around her?

Thoughts?

14. fighter55 Member Member

Putting her in a high activity area may eventually get her used to the movement, but right now as she's healing she probably needs as little stress as possible. I would suggest using very soft(silk) or live plants to obstruct direct vision from her to you. This way she won't get stressed, but at the same time you can be close to the tank to keep a watchful eye on her. I just got my female betta from petsmart and she was in an attempted sorority too. She clearly was beaten up a lot too, but now you can't even tell.

15. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

004.jpg 006.jpg

Updated pictures of my rescue betta girl. She's still in the 2.5 healing, but she's doing much better and doesn't fade or have stress lines when she sees me now. I never used any medicines, just clean water and fish protector and vitachem with her food.

Now I just have to name her...

16. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, what a shocking difference...... I would name her Gloria, after Gloria Gaynor, who sang "I will survive!" ;)

17. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

:) I like it. That's kinda along the lines of what I was thinking of...something to do with surviving. Of course, if my son has his way he'll find some super hero to namer her after. :)

18. fighter55 Member Member

how about Destiny? Destiny's Child sang "Survivor".

19. escapay Well Known Member Member

Wow! I wish I had that much luck when trying to get my bettas better. I really should have just put them in a separate tank that didn't have water issues.

20. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Now keep an eye out for any infections or cysts. She looks a lot better.