Rescue Blood Parrot help please

Joshua G

Hi all
Today I saw a very sick blood parrot at my lfs. It's in a tank with peacock bass and a midas cichlid that chases the blood parrot constantly. I am going to pick the blood parrot up tomorrow and try to save it in a quarantine tank and then if it gets back to full health I will put it into my main tank with my other blood parrot. I just please want help with what medications I should use. I don't really know a lot about fish diseases because I havent had to deal with any of them except ich. The blood parrot's fins look teared and it also has a couple of white spots so I think it might be ich but im not to sure so I would really appreciate if anyone could help and also tell me how long I should quarantine the blood parrot.
Please see photos attached.
Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 162F285C-7533-4339-A219-54CCB588A886.jpeg
    162F285C-7533-4339-A219-54CCB588A886.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 23
  • 281C6C7F-0098-4C20-9E8B-F74E030C7D8C.jpeg
    281C6C7F-0098-4C20-9E8B-F74E030C7D8C.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 6737CD1C-6369-4B2D-94EC-0B2BEB6D8A64.jpeg
    6737CD1C-6369-4B2D-94EC-0B2BEB6D8A64.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 24

A201

If the white patches aren't a natural pigment for the BP, then it's not a good idea to bring it home. Those patches might be a symptom of Columnaris.
Make sure the BP is eating & leave it in the QT tank for about a month, or longer.
Clean water and good nutrition are the best meds for recovery.
Maybe dose one of the herbal antiseptics such as Melafix.

Joshua G

Thanks for the reply. I was at the lfs 2 weeks ago and the blood parrot was there. He did not look too bad but i noticed he was getting bullied a bit, but he looked a lot worse today. I think im just gonna buy him and try to save him. Why do you think it's not a good idea to bring him home if he has columnaris? Is it impossible to cure?

A201

Columnaris is almost impossible to cure once it takes hold on a fish.
Aquarium specific antibiotics rarely cure and can cause more harm than good to the aquarium environment.

Noroomforshoe

Columnaris is also contagios. You will need to very carefully was any tank items that you use whith him, such as the net, and if it turns out to deffinitly be columnaris, then the the tank / the filter, the substrate...

Joshua G

do you guys think he has columnaris?

Ouse

do you guys think he has columnaris?
Yes.

If you haven’t already, please don’t buy this fish, or any other fish from that vendor either. Chances are, the display tanks at your LFS are all linked to one big system. While healthy fish can fight off columnaris bacteria, already infected fish become bacterial incubators.

Joshua G

Ok so its totally impossible to heal him? And its definitely not just the pigment of his skin? He still had the power to swim around and it really looked like he could get better but if he's just going to die i won't waste my money. My blood parrot in my main tank also has a white mark near his tail but it's just the pigment so i think maybe he just has the same thing? i dont know i just really want to try and help him:( He will be in a quarantine tanks also so he cant infect my other fish.

Ouse

Ok so its totally impossible to heal him? And its definitely not just the pigment of his skin?
It’s columnaris. You can see his tail and other tissue is slowly being eaten away. Best not to even bother with this fish as chances of survival at this stage is close to zero.

Not sure why your LFS is displaying ill fish. I’d have suspicion on them.

I agree with A201; antibiotics are risky to use.
My blood parrot in my main tank also has a white mark near his tail but it's just the pigment so i think maybe he just has the same thing? i dont know i just really want to try and help him:( He will be in a quarantine tanks also so he cant infect my other fish.
Hopefully yours isn’t ill. Please could we have a picture?

Joshua G

Ok thank you all so much for helping I really appreciate it. I'm pretty sure my bp is healthy because he has had that mark for a very long time but I will attach a photo for you.

Attachments

• F7506868-3C35-4CFA-AB55-58C89041D670.jpeg
    F7506868-3C35-4CFA-AB55-58C89041D670.jpeg
    571.2 KB · Views: 14

Ouse

Ok thank you all so much for helping I really appreciate it. I'm pretty sure my bp is healthy because he has had that mark for a very long time but I will attach a photo for you.
Could it be a fighting wound? Any competitors in his tank?

If it were a columnaris outbreak, I too would think it’d have spread further along the body by now, eating and discolouring more tissue over time than it has.

Joshua G

Only other inhabitants in the tank are 10 denison barbs and a bristle nose pleco so no definitely not a fighting wound but it might be a scrape from a rock or something.

Attachments

• 6893C1D1-956A-4F46-90DD-E66D7BC93246.jpeg
    6893C1D1-956A-4F46-90DD-E66D7BC93246.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 13

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
americanninja
Replies
Views
A201
Replies