Rescue Betta

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was over at my friend's house the other day, which is great because both of her tanks are bigger than mine and she keeps fish I probably never would. Her 55g has a Bichir, Ropefish, and Rainbow shark. Her 70g has a Fire eel, Black Ghost knife, 2 Angelfish and a Pearl gourami (and 1 white cloud that has *somehow* survived in there since the beginning). She also has a 10g quarantine tank with neons keeping the cycle going.

Then she had 1 lonely little betta in a 1/2gal bowl. She used to have 2, but when she was dumping out some of his old water he jumped out and went down the drain. Ever since she's been real nervous about doing water changes on the other betta.

Enter me: I see the poor little guy flopping around his mungy little bowl, which had this weird brown algae that would float around whenever he swam down and disturbed it. Piles of it littering the bottom, and one dirty little plastic plant. I started crooning over the poor little guy, how dirty his bowl was, and what had happened to his fins?!? Well, she'd also felt bad for him in his little bowl and wanted to give him some more space to swim around, so she put him in her 70g and Puppy (the ghost knife) bit all his fins off! Needless to say I was shocked at her putting him in with such aggressive fish, even more so since the poor guy just recovered from the LAST time she tried that with her 55g!

She then went on to say she was going to try and re-home him as soon as his fins grew back and he was 'pretty' again, so naturally I volunteered and carried him home in a rinsed-out juice bottle. He's now settling into Fwoosh's old 5gal, he's spending a lot of time hanging out at the bottom or the back but I'm hoping he'll perk up in a bit. He's a jumpy little guy, just about gave him a heart attack trying to snap a picture for you guys! Hopefully his new life of heat and filtration will help him on his way to healing.

Attachments

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Poor little guy's been through a lot. I'm glad to hear you brought him home to nice clean warm water with more room.
Add some extra stress coat a drop or two of garlic juice and if you can get some vita-chem to help his immune system.

Good luck, he's a pretty boy.

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I'll name him Vizzini. Goes with the Westley-Inigo Montoya-Prince Humperdink namesets. I considered Fezzik, but I really should get a Giant Betta to be Andre

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Best wishes for the new guy!
Great suggestions from Lucy.

Keep us posted please.

Ken

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So far, so good. He's settling in just fine. Seems to be a picky eater though- he won't have anything to do with pellets! Wes and his Highness have no problem eating their regular breakfast, but little Vizzini only wants his frozen bloodworms. Tsk tsk.

Other than his missing finnage he seems to be pretty healthy. His color's nice and strong and he doesn't have any trouble swimming (at first when I saw him flopping around his bowl I thought he might have a swim bladder infection... now I think he was just cramped). I put a betta hammock in there in case he wanted to rest, but doesn't really seem interested. My female was the only one that really used it.

I'm still surprised at how poorly she was taking care of him, since she's so good with all her other fish. And I can't figure out why she didn't just put him in her quarantine tank- all she has in there are 3 neons to keep the bacteria going, she said that when he first got hurt there was actually a fish in quarantine, but what about after? I just don't understand her sometimes...

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ha! Another fan of the Princess Bride!!!!!! That is SUCH a cool name theme!!!!! I love Vizzini!!! that's the perfect name for him, and he' reeeally pretty Good luck with him!!!

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm still surprised at how poorly she was taking care of him, since she's so good with all her other fish.
Maybe I'm wrong...but...I kinda doubt that her fish are compatible in her larger tanks. If I recall, ropefish are brackish water fish, and I'm pretty sure that the rainbow shark isn't. Both fire eel and BGK are pretty big (20"), and that pearl gourami probably is toast.

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
happy to hear that he got a helping hadn... hope his fins grow back soon, and remember, we are waiting for his pics, once all the fins grow back...

Lucy suggestions will help him a lot in healing completely..

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vizzini's not feeling so well

He's not paying a whole lot of attention to his food, even the bloodworms, and he's spending most of his time lying on the bottom. When he does swim he seems to be having trouble, though I'm not sure if it's just because of his missing fins or if there's something else wrong (he kinda looks like he's sinking). I took a little video of him, I'll have it up as soon as I can.

I'm so worried about the little guy! I at least know he's better off in my tank than his mungy little bowl, but I feel bad cause I can't afford to buy him any medicines. And I'm starting to think maybe he's just getting on in his years... I have no idea how long my friend had him before me, after all... maybe all I'm doing is giving him a nice place to die?

EDIT: here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FulENGATnjo

Last edited:

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He's gone :'(

Poor little guy... I was really looking forward to seeing how his fins grew in, too. He had some lovely speckling on his dorsal fin. I feel a bit better knowing he was comfy for his last few days, but it's still kinda depressing. I'm going to bury him in my Christmas cactus in the morning.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry to hear it......my son kept a betta in a goldfish bowl for years(at least 3) and he just sat in it mulling so I decided to put him in our new 40 gal community tank when we got it cycled. He died a few days later in it

I guess 3 years is a lot for a betta but the shock of moving may have done him in.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm sorry .

Sometimes if they get used to living in less than ideal conditions, being put into clean water that is perfect for their needs can shock them as it is such a dramatic change for them.

Romad

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Awwwww... it was so nice reading the start of this thread tonight and then it all went downhill.
Sorry you lost him - it was good of you to try to give him a better life.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's a very sad story. I'm glad that you gave him a nice clean home for his last days, at least there is that.

Sorry that you lost him.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom