Rescue Betta Update

• Thread starter RunningGirl
  • Start date

RunningGirl

It's been a while so I thought I'd just post a quick update on my recent rescue betta! It's been a little over a month and he is FINALLY ich free! I've decided to name him Smee and while I considered rehoming him, I was not able to find him somewhere suitable to go, and I had gotten attached anyway. I moved him and my other betta into a divided 10 gal tank. My other betta, Shark Bait got moved into the divided tank last week. I moved over some the substrate that was in his 5 gal filter to the 10 gal with some of the already cycled water from his tank so that I didn't have to cycle the 10 gal so long. Smee is out of quarantine and was just moved into the 10 gal today. I'll post some pics of them in their new home. Smee is still adjusting to the new tank so he'll have a few stress strips since I took the pic right after acclimating him. While his fins are a lot better, they are still a little ragged from his "fin biting" phase. He is better now, but for a few weeks it was rough trying to find a way to get him to stop biting himself.

Attachments

RunningGirl

Just wondering, does anyone know what color Smee is? He is the mostly blue betta, but he has a black face and red streaks. Sometimes he looks purple or even greenish under different lighting; I was thinking metallic? I'm not even sure if metallic is a real color or if it is a "pattern".

Attachments

12Cin12

I don't know the answer to your question, but I just wanted to pop in and compliment you on your gorgeous fishes! Good job!
I can't wait until I get my Betta (s). After seeing your setup, I think I like the divided tank. Then I could have two..... I'm looking at a pretty dumbo half-moon (I think that's what its called) and also a KoI Betta.
:)

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Both are so pretty!!

Repolie

Well Known
So pretty! He doesn't fit into any specific colour pattern and could be considered multi-coloured.

Accents

Well Known
I'm not sure there's an actual way to stop fin biting, Maybe try rescaping the tank every so often (add some silk plants to the tank so you can move them around,) try to teach him some stuff, and just generally try to prevent him from being too bored. I've heard that is a possible reason why they bite. Other than that, just keep the tank super clean so they don't get infected.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
RunningGirl said:
Just wondering, does anyone know what color Smee is? He is the mostly blue betta, but he has a black face and red streaks. Sometimes he looks purple or even greenish under different lighting; I was thinking metallic? I'm not even sure if metallic is a real color or if it is a "pattern".
My crowntail is similar in color to Smee, looks purplish when you catch the light right, which is mostly why I got him!! Gorgeous fish there!

RunningGirl

Accents said:
I'm not sure there's an actual way to stop fin biting, Maybe try rescaping the tank every so often (add some silk plants to the tank so you can move them around,) try to teach him some stuff, and just generally try to prevent him from being too bored. I've heard that is a possible reason why they bite. Other than that, just keep the tank super clean so they don't get infected.
Thank you! That's what I figured out. He starts biting in "cycles." He'll start looking really good and then something will stress him and he'll nip again. I'm starting to get a handle on it though. I think it might be a vice that carried over from all that time he spent in an empty fish bowl with nothing to do until I got him. Hopefully it will get better with time.

RunningGirl

Accents said:
Thank you! That's what I figured out. He starts biting in "cycles." He'll start looking really good and then something will stress him and he'll nip again. I'm starting to get a handle on it though. I think it might be a vice that carried over from all that time he spent in an empty fish bowl with nothing to do until I got him. Hopefully it will get better with time.

Accents

Well Known
Yeah. I'm not completely sure about this, but you could research a bbI about snails? Maybe it could be entertaining to him, but at the same time, they poop a lot.

Iverg1

Well Known
RunningGirl said:
"fin biting" phase
Mom! This is who I am! *munchs on fin* All joking aside fin biting is from two things boredom and feeling like the tail is dragging them down. If the tail is dragging them down the you can add more resting spots. Some preferably close to the water surface. If he's bored SHAKE THINGS UP! Feed him a new food! Feed him live food! Get a snail! Get a new plant! Move some of his decor around! Teach him a trick!

Top Bottom