1. iamclaire

iamclaire Valued Member Member

2f1963118ee5ccde766da2831af0dfbe.jpg

He is in a filtered, cycled 10 gallon tank right now,
    78 degrees
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    20 nitrate

Did erythromycin for 3 days, then switched to maracyn plus after a water change. On day 4 of maracyn plus with no improvement. Have dosed 3 tsp epsom salt twice. Once when he first came home and then again when I dosed maracyn plus.

Any suggestions?

If you wamt the back story:

I rescue bettas. Whenever I have an opening, I go to the local petco andpick the worst looking betta I can find, and bring it home. If they pass away, which they usually do, at least they go in peace and comdort and clean water. Some times they live, which is why I have 12 aquariums right now. So the people at the local petco kind of know me.

Hence the current situation: 2f1963118ee5ccde766da2831af0dfbe.jpg

I go in, this time just to pick up biomedia, and one of the sales peeps asked me to come see some fish in the back. Apparently this guy has been there for 2 months and no one would take him because of his eye. So she asked if I would take "pop eye the sailor fish" qnd try to save him. And let her know howhe turned out.( I show them pics and videos of my bettas any chance I get)

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Sometimes popeye in one eye can be related 2 injury..but parasites and bacteria can be the cause also. Cloudiness of the eye usually points to chronically poor water quality. I recommend turning the heat up to 80 degrees.. over a period of 8-10 hours. I would also keep nitrates between 5 and 10..continually doing water changes to promote healing and pristine water quality. Broad spectrum antibiotics like API General Cure would be one to use...it just worries me that he has already been through 2 courses of treatment. Can u see any signs of injury in the eye?

3. OP
    OP
    iamclaire

No, other than that he appears to be perfect. The eye still functions tracking movement

4. OP
    OP
    iamclaire

He appears to have trouble seeing small details like small pellets. Ive turned up the heat as you suggested. As to chronic poor water quality he was at pet co in a cup for two months. Im just shocked he doesnt have finrot too!

5. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

The erythromycin would have a higher chance of working than the Maracyn Plus, which is better for external infections and Popeye is generally gram positive. You should have completed the dosage round of erythromycin as failing to complete can produce resistant strains and it usually takes a few days before any effects start. If the erythromycin doesn't work use minocycline (Low PH) or Kanamycin.

6. OP
    OP
    iamclaire

Pop eye still alive and well. I think the eye is due to a tumor as he now has a massive growth on his side as well. Eats and swims fine. Eye never changed one iota.