Rescue Betta - could he have fin rot?

1. ashleyb Member Member

Hey guys. I took in a rescue Betta today on very short notice. A friend of mine got bored of him and mentioned he was going to flush this little guy because he wanted "more exciting" fish instead and didn't realize you couldn't mix and match fish with bettas before buying it. Sigh. Don't get me started.

So I took him in. I put him in a 5.5 gallon and kind of just threw together some spare gravel, a hideaway and silk plants I have laying around for the time being. It's not the Ritz, but it's not the toilet (or the little 2 gallon he was previously in.) The filter cartridge is an extra from a beautifully established tank I have (I always keep multiples for this reason!) and he has a heater set at 79 degrees.

The thing is, he's a crowntail. I've never owned a crowntail before, and when I got him home I've noticed it looks like parts of his fins are missing. Especially from the top fin? The very edges of his fins are also a little clear looking. I can't tell if this is how a crowntail looks naturally or if he has a problem. He was being previously kept in a nonheated, nonfiltered tank so I can only imagine his water parameters weren't ideal. My friend is an idiot.

Can someone tell me if this looks like fin rot or if this is just how crowntail fins typically look? I've only ever owned a half moon and a dragonscale so I'm used to big fluffy extravagant fins. Tell me what you Betta enthusiasts think? Thanks guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

He looks surprisingly good for having lived with an idiot!;) I wouldn't worry about the clear patches, those are usually a sign of fin regrowth. Fin rot presents as a dark edge. He looks like a very nice CT and any problems he might have been developing I'm sure will soon clear up with your care:)

3. ashleyb Member Member

Thank you, I hope so! I don't even know what he means by "more exciting" because I'm already in love with this little dude. He is pretty interactive considering his big move today. He ate right out of my hand and is darting around the tank at alarming speeds. I'm not used to my bettas moving that quickly because their huge fluffy fins hold them back, lol. I put him on an end table right next to my couch so I can keep an eye on him, and any time I move or look over he is staring me dead in the eyes with his little gill fins fluttering. He's made me laugh on a few occasions already.

I think he'll enjoy it here.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I think that fish react to and reflect their surroundings. I'm guessing he lived in a pretty boring tank kept away from the household activities. You've given him a nice big space and you're interacting with him. He's in seventh heaven;D

5. BrokerTamara Member Member

Barney the Betta.JPG So great that you rescued the betta with the wonderful new home. Great place for the fish to interact with you as they love attention. Smart with the extra media. I cant believe someone would even consider flushing. I was so happy to read about this. I also last week was at a home who had a Betta in a vase with a plant with roots. I asked about water changes and feeding and they said only water changes needed monthly ( ? I was in shock) and then I asked about feeding and was told it eats the plant roots.So fast forward one week and Barney the Betta is at home at my house in a new 5 gallon Fluval Spec ( set up with existing media) and now has filter, heater and full lights and decor and plants and I am watching closely water conditions, Barney greets me, follows my finger, blowing bubbles and swims around and does not mine the filter which really is one strong in one area. I love this Betta and it is less than a week.

* Sorry about photo as I have tried to fix.

6. ashleyb Member Member

I usually use sponge filters in my Betta tanks but didn't have a spare this time, I only had a little 20 gallon HOB I was using as an extra in my 55 gallon in case I ever needed to switch it to a quarantine tank. But it's on his tank now and the flow definitely was a little strong, so I just attached a little mesh bio bag around the output, which you can see in the photo. It softens and distributes the flow more evenly without disrupting the flow. You may want to think about something like that! Because I know bettas aren't strong swimmers and typically don't like strong currents. But then there are occasional bettas who don't mind them at all! Just a thought!

7. BrokerTamara Member Member

I like the idea how you keep an extra filter running. I had extra ceramic in my 90 tank and I cut some of a sponge that I use in the sump to put in the new tank to help it out along with transferring some rocks.
    The mesh bio bag is great idea.

8. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Not to be a downer but I think Barney the Betta has some pretty advanced fin rot. I would compare pictures to see if he is still loosing fins. The new clean water may be enough to stop it but I would start doing frequent water changes.

But the blue fish appears to be free of fin rot.

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Good point, there is a small amount of fin rot in the picture but clean water should be enough to heal that:)

10. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I agree :)

11. ashleyb Member Member

I've been doing frequent water changes on my blue fish too, just to be on the safe side. I've been doing 15%-20% water changes every other day, if anything to encourage the clear looking ends that look like fin regrowth. He's doing great!

12. BrokerTamara Member Member

Thanks for the comment as I saw the fin rot right away and keeping the water pristine to hope overcome the fin rot. I am watching it closely.