Rescaping my first ever tank!

Potatomancer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here I am, ready to rescape my first tank. It's a 10 gallon that has housed my betta, Milotic, for the past year. Nothing special, but it's what started my venture into fish keeping!

Snapchat-1819396047.jpg

I plan to remove the gravel, and replace it with some sort of planted substrate (eco complete? maybe a layer of fine-ish gravel on top? opinions?). I'll be planting the majority of the bottom with something that will grow tall enough to house a colony of Ghost shrimp! Not quite sure on the plant yet. Suggestions? Something grass-like and on the beginner side as far as ferts/co2?
Milo currently lives peacefully with small Amanos, and now I want to try a shrimp that might reproduce in this tank... yes, assuming Milo doesn't get hungry and eat ALL the eventual babies.
Anywho, I'm excited to finally tackle this and see where it goes!

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Potatomancer said:
Here I am, ready to rescape my first tank. It's a 10 gallon that has housed my betta, Milotic, for the past year. Nothing special, but it's what started my venture into fish keeping!

Snapchat-1819396047.jpg

I plan to remove the gravel, and replace it with some sort of planted substrate (eco complete? maybe a layer of fine-ish gravel on top? opinions?). I'll be planting the majority of the bottom with something that will grow tall enough to house a colony of Ghost shrimp! Not quite sure on the plant yet. Suggestions? Something grass-like and on the beginner side as far as ferts/co2?
Milo currently lives peacefully with small Amanos, and now I want to try a shrimp that might reproduce in this tank... yes, assuming Milo doesn't get hungry and eat ALL the eventual babies.
Anywho, I'm excited to finally tackle this and see where it goes!
I'd try dwarf saggitarius! It looks like grass and is pretty dense, also doesn't need c02!

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In my play sand substrate, betta/pygmy cory 10 gallon, I have some micro chain sword. It's been set up for a month and a half, hasn't spread a ton but hasn't died either and has some new growth! I don't use any co2, I do use seachem root tabs and flourish/flourish excel. I would also 100% recommend a whole bunch of java moss. My cherry shrimp babies love hiding in it, they all tuck away, then I drop food in and 100 of them explode from my lump of moss!

OP
Potatomancer

Potatomancer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bloodfeather said:
I'd try dwarf saggitarius! It looks like grass and is pretty dense, also doesn't need c02!
Oh, I like the look of that! Does it grow fast, need frequent trimmings?

OP
Potatomancer

Potatomancer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Roboticsbede said:
Nice, love the tank btw, how much does the heater cost?
Mine came as part of a kit, but I've seen these for around $15 - $20.

OP
Potatomancer

Potatomancer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
redmare said:
In my play sand substrate, betta/pygmy cory 10 gallon, I have some micro chain sword. It's been set up for a month and a half, hasn't spread a ton but hasn't died either and has some new growth! I don't use any co2, I do use seachem root tabs and flourish/flourish excel. I would also 100% recommend a whole bunch of java moss. My cherry shrimp babies love hiding in it, they all tuck away, then I drop food in and 100 of them explode from my lump of moss!
Ahhhh so cute! Okay I'll look for java moss too at my LFS.

Thibault Drake

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Potatomancer said:
Oh, I like the look of that! Does it grow fast, need frequent trimmings?
My dwarf sag took a while to get rooted but now it’s sending out runners and growing at a medium pace. Definitely use root tabs in the long run. After a while if will need a little bit of trimming, but it also depends on your light.

OP
Potatomancer

Potatomancer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thibault Drake said:
My dwarf sag took a while to get rooted but now it’s sending out runners and growing at a medium pace. Definitely use root tabs in the long run. After a while if will need a little bit of trimming, but it also depends on your light.
Got root tabs on hand, so will do! Thanks for chiming in :)

New Threads