Rescaping My 20g, Thoughts, Opinions, Suggestions

1. Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami Valued Member Member

My main tank as of right now is a 20g tall. I have finally established my tank. It has been established for about a month now. I think for the type of fish I have and want to keep, a planted tank is better which means I will be rescaping. Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions on the best way to do this would be great. I want to save as much BB as possible so I will be saving at least half of my old substrate and just covering it with the new substrate. Here is what else I want to do or add.
    Add:
    **Plants
    **Lava rocks
    **Driftwood
    What is already in the tank to stay:
    **Anubias plant on driftwood
    **Terracotta pot
    **4 Albino Cory
    **7 Green Cory
    **3 Mystery Snails
    **3 Nerite Snails

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

The problem with 20 talls is that the footprint is too small for cories. That's really the only issue I see.

3. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

What about Cory's that are claimed to fit in tens?
    So are they in danger in there?
    They have always seemed pretty happy. I haven't had any issues with them since I got them. (Knock on wood)

4. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

I could also use some advice or suggestions on the best way to go about rescaping with minimal amount of stress to the fish and also minimal beneficial bacteria loss.

5. Discus-Tang

Cories that are claimed to fit in ten gallons are named: Pygmy cories.

Corydoras don't have enough scavenging room in a 20 high.

6. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

Well that's unfortunate...

7. Discus-Tang

If you get a 20 long you can put your cories in there.

8. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

I wouldn't even know where to get one... all my LFS has is the Talls...

9. alauruin

alauruin Valued Member Member

Does your LFS have a 29g? Same footprint as a 20 long, just taller. I prefer a 29g to a 20g--not big enough to be significantly more expensive, but gives you a few more gallons of space to play with.

10. Dawna Hunn

Dawna Hunn Valued Member Member

I have a 20 high also. It was what I got before I knew better. Anyway, I have panda cories in mine and I started with zebra danios. I had a whole upper level that was just empty so I added a male neon blue dwarf gourami. He really draws the eye in a planted tank! If you keep up with your water changes I don't see why you couldn't add a mid to upper column dweller.

11. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

That is my exact situation with getting the 20 high before I knew as much as I do now. I still have much to learn. I have been thinking about a mid level fish to add that is peaceful enough for my snails and catfish. I absolutely love bottom dwellers but yes they would stand out more in a long tank and since all I have is the high right now I should prolly play more with the different levels. :emoji_face_palm:

12. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

You know after looking up a few different sizes just now I was thinking the exact same thing. My LFS does have a 29 gallon I will just have to special order it and wait for it to be sent to my local store. And then it will have to wait until I have the extra cash... I literally just bought a 10 gallon size Monday because of a sale I just couldn't pass up. Lol. :emoji_sweat_smile:

13. alauruin

alauruin Valued Member Member

If you have a Petco or Petsmart nearby, wait for them to do a $1/gallon sale. I got my 29g for $29 last time they did one--can't beat it!

14. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

Dang!! How often do they do that?!

15. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

I could still really use some advice on how to go about the rescaping. I already ordered plants. So I'm committed to that. I'm gonna need to add and take out some substrate, add/move around some rocks and wood, and then plant. What is best way to do all this, should I take the fish out or just work very carefully around them?

16. Dawna Hunn

I swapped out gravel for pool filter sand while the fish were in the tank. I did about 2/3 and hung a knee high stocking with a bunch of the removed gravel in the corner of the tank. A week later I removed the rest of the gravel. Just use a cup to slowly add the substrate. The key is to go slow and you won't have too much of a cloudy mess (as long as you have rinsed it well beforehand). I removed decorations as I added plants so it wasn't all done at once so I didn't have a BB imbalance. It worked for me. I also added root tabs where needed and really didn't see any growth until I started using Flourish weekly. Could have just been coincidental to the timing of the plants recovering from transplant shock but I do notice a growth spurt with each dose of liquid ferts. I have mostly fast growing plants so it's noticable! What I did was put the plants around the back edge of one side and the back of the tank, and the driftwood and river rocks in the other front corner. The intake tube is relatively clear and about 1/3 of the tank is open sand on the bottom with the plants kind of leaning over the middle toward the top of the water column.
    It took about a month for everything to recover and fill in. I would replant the trimmings around the original plant until I had the "jungle look" I wanted.
    With these plants you can just move them around until you're happy with how it looks. If something is uprooted just let it float until your next water change so you can replant or rescape. Have fun with it and good luck!

17. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

That's a great game plan. The waiting a week between gravel changes will give me time to dip my plants. Speaking of which I could use some tips on what I can dip my plants in and how long before I plant them.

18. Dawna Hunn

Some of my plants I dipped in a peroxide bath and some I didn't. If you decide to do it you can find the ratio of peroxide to water here somewhere. I don't remember the exact measurements, but I used a gallon pitcher for the dip/bath. I kept them in a bucket of water until I was ready to plant them. I laid each plant out on a towel or paper towels and closely examined them for snails/eggs...luckily I had none. All my plants made it so I must have done things right. I had no plan to have live plants when I began back in November but I had issues with high nitrates in my well water so it was one of the things I did in order to help lower it. Now I love them! My disclaimer here is that I am no pro or even have a lot of experience but I have done a pile of research and forum reading. So far I've been fairly successful with what I've attempted so I'm just relaying what worked for me. I'm really enjoying the hobby and wish you well with your project. :)

19. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

Your story sounds very similar to mine. I got kinda thrown into the hobby when one of my sons received a goldfish for his 6th birthday in January. A month later that poor fish died and in attempt to find out what happened and prevent it from happening again I started doing a ton of research. After which finding out how much I myself personally love this hobby, I got much more in depth in it, did lots and lots more research which I continue to do anytime I have a question or dont know something. And coming across this forum I think was very lucky for me because I have learned ALOT from the good people on her than the actual internet. And here I am now trying to go out of my comfort zone and dabble in the art of planted tanks. And thank you very much. I wish all as well to you too! :emoji_blush: