Rescaping my 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Kasye, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

I finally decided to use one of the big pieces of driftwood we've had lying around in my 10 gallon. That tank always just looked so.. bare to me.

I'm still trying to figure out where things should go, and the anacharis and hornwort are a mess right now, but I figured I stressed everyone out enough for now.

Ugh, I scrubbed the heck out of the wood and it's still covered in black beard algae though.

I'm going to get some java moss and grow it on the wood too; I've always loved how the moss-covered wood looks. The RCS are already LOVING it, and the guppies are curious.

IMG_1413.JPG IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1420.JPG

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Looks good though. :)

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks good!

4. LiterallyHydro

I have got to set up a little shrimp tank some time.. Do you have any further plans with this tank of yours?

5. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

That's not BBA, it's just the funky grey stuff that grows on driftwood when you add it to a tank. I wouldn't worry about it.

6. OP
    OP
    Kasye

Oh, well I had it in a tank before that got COVERED in BBA, and the stuff's just been sitting on the driftwood that we pulled out of the tank to try to deal with the algae (though I was hoping since we've had the wood out of the water for months that it would've killed it). But that would be great if it wasn't omg.

And yep! Looking into ordering some more plants, and I still have to play around with the plants that are already in there to figure out where I want them.

7. LiterallyHydro

What plants do you have in mind? :)

8. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Nice shrimp tank :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    Kasye

Java moss and/or christmas moss and echinodorus vesuvius are what I'm mainly after right now. I'm also thinking about adding vals, I always liked the look of them.

10. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah Java moss will work. Shrimp love java moss, it's also good for baby shrimp. Baby shrimp eat off of it, they like to pick at it. Jungle Val is a nice background plant. If you decide to get jungle Val make sure to get some root tabs because they are heavy root feeders. Some water spite would look nice in the tank. It's a fast growing plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Jungle val easily gets three feet tall... a bit much for a 10 gallon. In fact most vals get too big for a ten gallon. But corkscrew vals might work for quite a while.

Shrimp also love moss balls, for what it's worth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice