Rescaping aquarium with fish in

Arrow1oo

So i want to rescape my 55 gallon. I set it up when I was new to the hobby and want to change it up. However this would involve removing everything except the substrate and moving them around.

the tank is planted with black gravel so I know some filth will get into the water. I was thinking I could try to move slowly to avoid stirring up unnecessary things.

I toyed with the idea of taking out the fish but I’m nearly certain it would be more stressful as catching them would be hard.
Anyone have any experience here.

MacZ

Yeah, slow (not too slow) movements are a good idea. and lower the water before you start to 50% or a bit less.

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

Yeah, slow (not too slow) movements are a good idea. and lower the water before you start to 50% or a bit less.
Would it be wise to have the water lower and dirty with the fish inside? I figured I’d want more water in so it won’t get as dirty. Doesn’t make much sense but I’m just checking lol

Upvote 0

CasperW

If your smart about it and gentle really the only part you cant change is gravel with fish in it
I recently changed my paludarium back into a fish tank which involved me adding 150 litres(slowly and giving time for it to heat and get dirty) and I completely rescaped it with all the wood being removed . It did take 7 hours though

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

If your smart about it and gentle really the only part you cant change is gravel with fish in it
I see, I will probably be rustling up the gravel though since I’m putting in new driftwood and dragon stone but i get what you’re saying. I’ll try my best. I think I’ll add a few drops of seachem prime as well to detoxify and potential ammonia or nitrites in the tank
I see, I will probably be rustling up the gravel though since I’m putting in new driftwood and dragon stone but i get what you’re saying. I’ll try my best. I think I’ll add a few drops of seachem prime as well to detoxify and potential ammonia or nitrites in the tank

Upvote 0

CasperW

The fish normally just stay out your way in a corner

Upvote 0

MacZ

Would it be wise to have the water lower and dirty with the fish inside? I figured I’d want more water in so it won’t get as dirty. Doesn’t make much sense but I’m just checking lol

The fish won't mind the dirt. It will be diluted and sucked in the filter as soon as you fill up again. You should lower the water for the practical reason that you can actually handle things with both arms in the tank without making a huge mess.
Also as I know how exhausting it can be handling hardscape: Water gives more resistance than air. Changing the scape with both arms submerged is bloody exhausting.

I think I’ll add a few drops of seachem prime as well to detoxify and potential ammonia or nitrites in the tank

Those take hours to develop. You fish will be fine without.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

Unless you have some hungry Livebearers or Goldfish! They will not leave your hand alone, like it's a giant fork for them! Other than that, CasperW is right with the fish staying out of your way.

Upvote 0

CasperW

Try not to do any sudden movements or slosh the water so as not to stress them

Upvote 0

fishnovice33

I do this all the time with aquasoil. Water gets really dirty. I’m not really all that careful either because the quicker everything is done is more stress than bugging the tank all day IMO. I also find removing the fish to be very stressful. I’ve had no issues.

I line it up with a filter cleaning. Any algae or tank scrubbing I do the day prior. That way all I’m doing to rescaping and vacuuming. I have a canister.

First I remove all plants and hard scape with everything running normal. Turn filter and heater off. I lower water to 50% by vacuuming. Fill tank back up. Filter and heater back on. While water settles I dip plants and clean hard scape. Once water is clear put in plants and hardscape. Lastly I shut off and change filter. Restart.

This ensures heater and filter are on as much as possible and filter gets all the nasties before it itself is cleaned out.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Thibault Drake
Replies
Views
Revan
Replies
Views
Magua