Rescaping and planting my 40gal!!

Cowardlyslimeball

I am very excited! I'm finally rescaping my tank! I've been planning it for awhile, I am going to make the right side into one of those cool sand waterfalls, using pvc pipe and an airstone! For the past two weeks I have been hunting for biggish chunks of lava rock, to cover the pvc pipe, but I am not having much luck. so far I've been to my local fish store, (waaay to expensive) I've also been to several hardware stores to see if they have it for landscaping, only to be told that they only carry it in the summer! Online, I've searched the classifieds, local landscaping businesses, but nothing! I need something very light for the pile of rocks, but I don't like fake rocks either!
I'm starting to think that I'll have to just make a temporary smaller one with heavier rocks, or just not do the waterfall until next summer. How many pounds of rock is safe?
Annnyway,
I have several different kinds of plants ready in my quarantine tank, (thanks to MaximumRide14,) and I went hiking the other day to find some natural décor, I found some cool milky white quartz, and some other rocks, mostly granite I think, and a bunch of driftwood, (dogs found them and chewed up all but one piece, :mad
Sooo. Any ideas? You guys never disappoint!
here is a list of the plants:
1 subwassertang
4 bacopa
2 ludwiga repens
1 creeping jenny
3 hydrophilia
3 rotundifolia
1 rotala h'ra
1 rosette sword
here are some rocks that I found, I might throw those in there

and my current tank,

The last piece of driftwood:

and the main part of the build is going to be a 6-8in Polymer clay sea monster (Lagiacrus, to be exact), that I will sculpt this week, and hang from the top of the aquarium. so the theme kind of goes along with that!
here's a picture of the lagiacrus:

This is gonna be really hard to sculpt!
the easiest way to make this is to sculpt it out of tan clay, (Polymer clay is aquarium safe) and then paint it, and seal it. so I've been trying to find some kind of waterproof aquarium safe sealant, so the paint doesn't peel off and poison the fish. Does anyone have any ideas? I know there has to be something out there to use!

FishBoy101

Cowardlyslimeball said:
Helloo! I am very excited. This week is finally the week to rescape my tank! I've been planning it for awhile, I am going to make the right side into one of those cool sand waterfalls, using pvc pipe and an airstone! For the past two weeks I have been hunting for biggish chunks of lava rock, to cover the pvc pipe, but I am not having much luck. so far I've been to my local fish store, (waaay to expensive) I've also been to several hardware stores to see if they have it for landscaping, only to be told that they only carry it in the summer! Online, I've searched the classifieds, local businesses, but nothing! I need something very light for the pile of rocks, but I don't like fake rocks either! (Any suggestions?!)
Annnyway,
I am getting several different kinds of plants soon, (thanks to MaximumRide14,) I went hiking the other day to find some natural décor, and found some cool milky white quartz, and some other rocks, mostly granite I think, and a bunch of driftwood, (which my dogs found and chewed up all but one piece,
Sooo. Any ideas? You guys never disappoint!
What kind of theme are you going for? What is the stocking of the tank? This would be very helpful! Good luck!

Cowardlyslimeball

Oh and here's the driftwood, too

FishBoy101 said:
What kind of theme are you going for? What is the stocking of the tank? This would be very helpful! Good luck!
I want it to look very natural, like kind of a mountain waterfall and lots of plants everywhere. Idk, just "naturally awesome" haha!
My 40gal stocking is in my bio thing. I know it's verrry bad but you shoulda seen it when I rescued it just to name a few of the fish that I rehomed or died from the moving stress and me being a complete newb,
5 cory cats
4 molly's,
A single pregnant platy (still confused about that, one)
2 guppy's
5 glass catfish
And, too top it off, 13 juvenile BN plecos, and more on the way!!
That's all I remember. Boy, it's a mess
But I am doing the best with what I have! Most of the fish are to old and tattered to re-home, so I am just giving them the best I can!
But as for rescaping, I hope that helps

LeviS

For the large lava rock you can check any landscape supply company. My home town has one and another town 45 minutes over has one. They have piles of rocks including a variety of size lava rock. Prices are good-great compared to a fish store.

Cowardlyslimeball

Update!
My plants arrived today, (thanks to MaximumRide14!) it's time to get started! I've been thinking about how I want this to look and I had a really cool idea, I love sculpting polymer clay and it's aquarium safe too! I'm going to try to make a Lagiacrus, (if anyone played monster hunter 3 you'd know! ) it's basically a really cool looking sea monster. It will be about 7 inches long, and I'll hang it in the tank near the top. The only thing is, does anyone know of an aquarium glaze/sealant that I could put over acrylic paint? It would be much easier to paint it, instead of using a ton of different colors of clay!
So the theme will be kind of set around the Lagiacrus, ancient dinosaur, under the ocean with the sand waterfall/mountain. That kind of thing!
I contacted a couple of landscaping companies near me to see if they had bigger chunks of lava rocks, but none have replied yet, so I'm a bit stuck for now, I might end up making a shorter, temporary sand waterfall with the rocks I found, because at home depot they said they have bigger lava rock on the summer.
But I don't want it to be to heavy.. how many pounds is safe?
Here are the plants I have if anyone has any advice on that, because I'm new to planted tanks!
1 subwassertang
4 bacopa
2 ludwiga repens
1 creeping jenny
3 hydrophilia
3 rotundifolia
1 rotala h'ra
1 rosette sword

That's gonna be veery hard to sculpt
But I like a good challenge!

MaximumRide14

I can't wait to see your tank!!

AggressiveAquatics

I would use aquarium safe resin to seal it

Cowardlyslimeball

AggressiveAquatics said:
I would use aquarium safe resin to seal it
hmm I never thought of that! Do you know how that would work?

AggressiveAquatics

Cowardlyslimeball said:
hmm I never thought of that! Do you know how that would work?
Idk lol. I guess just find the resin that’s aquarium safe and pour it onto it

Cowardlyslimeball

Update! I started sculpting the Lagiacrus this afternoon, here's the progress:

Now I'm going to touch it up and pre-bake it, and then start adding the limbs, head and details!
(Wow this thread is really a mess! )

Cowardlyslimeball

Update!
I'm doing it all today!
Since I haven't found any lava rock, I decided to wait until the summer, when power townsend has them.
So far this is what I have, any suggestions? And where should I put my plants?
Thanks!

I played around with it a bit, and this is what I came up with! I will probably move the plants around, but I just wanted to throw them in there because they weren't looking too good. Unfortunately, the Amazon sword is probably a goner :

Here is the finished tank!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom