Rescaping 75 gallon display tank. Suggestions needed!

GlacialMold

Well Known
Hey guys, I am wanting to rescape my 75 gallon tank. It currently has some anubias, amazon swords, brazilian pennywort, and salvinia minima. It is my first aquascape with live plants, so it isn’t super great. It’s in the living room to, and I would like to make something more impressive.

Stocking: cherry barbs, honey gouramis, khuli loaches, bolivian rams, some bladder snails.

Plants in the tank: 5 amazon swords, 2 anubias, a bunch of pennywort, 5 very small water lilies.

Plants I have on hand: juncus repens, more anubias, a little bit more pennywort. (I can easily obtain creeping Jenny too.) and some C. Wendtii

Any suggestions?? I have sand in there right now, and I would like to not change substrate.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Hey guys, I am wanting to rescape my 75 gallon tank. It currently has some anubias, amazon swords, brazilian pennywort, and salvinia minima. It is my first aquascape with live plants, so it isn’t super great. It’s in the living room to, and I would like to make something more impressive.

Stocking: cherry barbs, honey gouramis, khuli loaches, bolivian rams, some bladder snails.

Plants in the tank: 5 amazon swords, 2 anubias, a bunch of pennywort.

Plants I have on hand: juncus repens, more anubias, a little bit more pennywort. (I can easily obtain creeping Jenny too.)

Any suggestions?? I have sand in there right now, and I would like to not change substrate.
Ooh! Pics? Sounds cool.

OP
GlacialMold

GlacialMold

Well Known
Sry i forget. It’s just a mediocre noob scape.

Attachments

• 8AFA782B-580D-43ED-84E8-ACB57A15E5AA.jpeg
    8AFA782B-580D-43ED-84E8-ACB57A15E5AA.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 83
  • FC26AA53-1007-49D2-8E4D-712080ABC60C.jpeg
    FC26AA53-1007-49D2-8E4D-712080ABC60C.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 53E54CF3-6E27-4805-AFBB-C587447E265D.jpeg
    53E54CF3-6E27-4805-AFBB-C587447E265D.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 2EBFB233-157B-463C-B138-6412E4E32F79.jpeg
    2EBFB233-157B-463C-B138-6412E4E32F79.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 80

Bambam787

Those swords look great with how much height they have!

OP
GlacialMold

GlacialMold

Well Known
Thx. The swords are doing great. It’s just kinda mediocre compared to other scapes on here. I mean, for a 14 yo’s 1st scape its not terrible, but still, not what I want now that I known what I am doing.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Thx. The swords are doing great. It’s just kinda mediocre compared to other scapes on here. I mean, for a 14 yo’s 1st scape its not terrible, but still, not what I want now that I known what I am doing.
You're 14? Cool! I'm 13

OP
GlacialMold

GlacialMold

Well Known
I was 13 when I set it up. I turned 14 last week. I want a ‘wow’ aquascape that really impresses people.

FishGirl115

Well Known
If you have some money to spend, a shipwreck piece would look amazing in there.

OP
GlacialMold

GlacialMold

Well Known
I have considered that, and I tend to prefer only real decor(driftwood, live plants, etc.) however I could be easily persuaded to do that if someone could show me a really nice aquascape with wreckage.

Fishproblem

Well Known
heyyyyy happy May birthday, fellow Taurus!

I'm totally with you on the live plants and natural decor. So far, you're killing it! I wish I could keep amazon swords looking that good.

I think a plant with longer roots like water lettuce would make for a really cool look, blending into the leaves of the amazon swords. Also, it could be time to focus on creating depth in the layout - or at least the illusion of it. by sloping the sand up towad the back more, you'll create a forced perspective effect that makes the tank look deeper. you can further enhance the illusion by moving the tallest plants, the swords, further back, and playing with midground and foreground plants.

You may also want to use the rule of thirds by moving all the swords nearer to each other, taking up only 2/3 of the tank's width.

also, is that a cool piece of driftwood in the back? send that toward the front so it adds visual interest!

OP
GlacialMold

GlacialMold

Well Known
I have 2 pieces of cork bark. They have to be wedged under the tank glass or they float. They pretty big, so they create a lot of upwards pressure. The other piece is in my misc. Aquarium junk box.

(By Taurus I thought you meant something else. Something less friendly lol.)

That’s a really great idea with the aquascape though. I will do that. I want some manzanita, I need to collect some driftwood soon. I should be able to this weekend.

OP
GlacialMold

GlacialMold

Well Known
the swords will be relocated to the left most 3rd of the tank, so it will be very dense over there. One of the water lilies will be on the right 3rd, for the golden ration. I will have driftwood for the left part of the golden ratio, right next to the swords. I will have anubias on that driftwood, and some crypts around it. In the middle 3rd I can have some juncus repens, and in the back some pennywort. Perhpas creeping Jenny behind the water lily. Is creeping Jenny tall or low growing??

Fishproblem

Well Known
I actually don’t know how creeping Jenny grows... apparently it can reach the top of the aquarium, but that’s what scissors are for, right? Your planting plan sounds awesome. That variety of leaf shapes and plant height is going to really take the scape to the next level.

I can’t say enough good things about manzanita. You could throw it into the tank with your eyes closed and wherever it lands, it’ll look good lol

vals might compete visually with your big swords if you plant them too heavily. I’d still use them if you can get em, but lightly intersperse them among the background to add more texture without being overwhelming.

I can’t wait to see what you do with it all!
(And I’ll be spending all night wondering what you thought I meant when I said Taurus hahah)

OP
GlacialMold

GlacialMold

Well Known
Got it, I can just add vals later.

I might not be able to find manzanita. Hopefully I can tho.
NVM I’m just stupid and thought I knew a very rude name but it turns out I don’t(dictionary’s are great!)

Fishproblem

Well Known
depending on where you live, you can find it outside. I am not so lucky, so I bought mine online. But if you’re looking in the wild and need a substitute, twiggy oak branches are great too!

lol whoops!

Bambam787

You're doing awesome for 14! Keep it up. Also don't feel alone, I think I can speak for most of us when I say we are all still trying to build that "wow tank" lol

Happy late bday btw

Stlshrk

You're doing awesome for 14! Keep it up. Also don't feel alone, I think I can speak for most of us when I say we are all still trying to build that "wow tank" lol

Happy late bday btw

Isn't that the truth!

OP
GlacialMold

GlacialMold

Well Known
So this weekend I will try to find some manzanita or nice oak pieces. After I get back (probably Wednesday) I will do the rescape.

Fishproblem

Well Known
So this weekend I will try to find some manzanita or nice oak pieces. After I get back (probably Wednesday) I will do the rescape.
Awesome! I’m going hiking this weekend and will be collecting driftwood and leaves along the way. Hope you find some good stuff!

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Tank looks awesome and all it’s screaming for is some branchy lookin pieces of DW imo..

OP
GlacialMold

GlacialMold

Well Known
I got some nice driftwood this weekend!!!!! I will cure it soon. I am gonna be pretty busy this week, but I will try to get the tank done

Fishproblem

Well Known
I got some nice driftwood this weekend!!!!! I will cure it soon. I am gonna be pretty busy this week, but I will try to get the tank done
can't wait to see it!

OP
GlacialMold

GlacialMold

Well Known
Not the ‘wow’ tank I wanted yet, but a little betterish.

I think some valisneria on the far right side would look good, and then shorter plants in the middle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 43

Fishproblem

Well Known
Not the ‘wow’ tank I wanted yet, but a little betterish.

I think some valisneria on the far right side would look good, and then shorter plants in the middle.
haha that's funny, cause my first thought was "wow!"
it's looking great! I think you're right on the plants.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LilBlub
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics

Did You Know...

"Bettas, they aren't fish, more like puppies in a fish suit."
(Tazmiche)

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop