Requesting Suggestions/tips On Transporting Fish. Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tom Hardy, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Tom Hardy

Tom HardyNew MemberMember

Hi all,
    I will be moving soon - a 16 hr drive which I have decided to complete in 2 days of 8 hr intervals (+1 day more to move into my new apartment and set up the aquarium). I will be transporting the following livestock - 12 small to medium sized platys, 4 yoyo loaches, 5 odessa barbs, 1 kribensis, 2 oto cats and 1 amano shrimp. My planted 29 gal is more than 2 years old with exceptionally stable parameters and before anyone raises an eyebrow, the amano and fish are together for the entire period and somehow has survived. Anyways, I have the following plan of action I would like to run by with you guys. I would like to keep the filter bacteria (at least a good percentage of it ) alive during the move, if that is indeed possible.

Any positive suggestions from you are dearly appreciated.

1) I have chosen a ~8 gallon sized plastic cooler (will be 70% filled with tank water and I know not to feed the fish for at least 48 hrs before moving).

2) I will keep the filter media (in bags) in the cooler with a water circulator pump OR can keep the HOB filter running on the side of the cooler at the slowest flow speed in addition to an aerator and a submersible heater (as its chilly outside). Power will be driven from a car inverter. I plan to stop for no more than 30 mins during driving breaks and will plug the system as soon as I get into the hotel for staying overnight. IS THIS A GOOD IDEA IN THE FIRST PLACE? Will this method preserve the filter bacteria?

3) I plan to transport the live plants separately in tank water. Will put the amano in there too. Would I rather put the plants along with the fish?

4) Is it a good idea to replace about 10-20% water while on move and dose with prime every 24 hrs during the move or should I keep the system as is?

2. lilabug4545

lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

The best advice I have for this situation is to ask for the hotel to give you a first-floor room!

3. OP
    OP
    Tom Hardy

Tom HardyNew MemberMember

Thanks.... that will be my first priority... :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice