Requesting Identification Of White Spot On Polyterus Delhezi

FishyDudeMan

Hello!

I have had my Polyterus DelhezI for about 3 months. I have noticed that his dark black colored stripes have now become more grayish almost faded since I purchased him and he now has two white looking spots on identical areas on both sides of his mouth/gill area which greatly concern me. My tank specs are the following...

• Freshwater 55gal tank
  • 25% water change every 2 weeks or sooner
  • Other then the DelhezI there are two fancy angel fish, 2 cloud cloaches(recently added because of a snail infestation but the problem with my DelhezI was happening before I introduced them), an Ancistrus
  • 7.4 PH, 0 Amonia, 0 Nitrite and .25 Nitrate
  • I feed the DelhezI frozen krill
Can anyone identify what the white spots are?

Picture of when I first purchased my Delhezi

20170501_203140_1.jpg

3 months later white spot forming on gill area. There is another white spot same location on his other gill.

20170811_175741_1.jpg

Wayne Lamphere

Gill mites and he had them when u got him most likely

FishyDudeMan

Wayne Lamphere Thanks for your reply. I read up on gill mites and checked pictures. I cannot seem to find a picture that resembles the white cloudy spot on my delhezi. I see more pictures of worm like and tiny dot pictures in regards to gill mites as well as open wounds on the gill. I do find it strange though that the white cloudy spot is on both sides and on both gills which does seem to resemble gill mites. The DelhezI is constantly moving around and swimming to the top, I assume for air which is a symptom of gill mites but also several other diseases. Before I start to put my delhezI in the quarantine tank and start treatment with sterazin and octozin can anyone provide a second opinion?

Wayne Lamphere

I seen a pic with it with a similar fish that u have and was swollen like your pic

Wayne Lamphere Thanks for your reply. I read up on gill mites and checked pictures. I cannot seem to find a picture that resembles the white cloudy spot on my delhezi. I see more pictures of worm like and tiny dot pictures in regards to gill mites as well as open wounds on the gill. I do find it strange though that the white cloudy spot is on both sides and on both gills which does seem to resemble gill mites. The DelhezI is constantly moving around and swimming to the top, I assume for air which is a symptom of gill mites but also several other diseases. Before I start to put my delhezI in the quarantine tank and start treatment with sterazin and octozin can anyone provide a second opinion?
Or may be a fungus?

FishyDudeMan

Wayne Lamphere can you provide a link to that pic? I just want to make sure . If it is a fungus I have the medication for it. Reason why I am asking for someone else to chime in to see if they agree that it is gill mites or maybe something else. Nothing personal

Jocelyn Adelman

Maybe chromedome52 can help

Wayne Lamphere

Wayne Lamphere can you provide a link to that pic? I just want to make sure . If it is a fungus I have the medication for it. Reason why I am asking for someone else to chime in to see if they agree that it is gill mites or maybe something else. Nothing personal
Gill Flukes Fish Disease

FishyDudeMan

I went ahead and bought from my local fish store. I am hoping it will get rid of the gill mites or whatever my DelhezI has. I have him in a 10gal quarantine tank with a couple cloud gold fish in case he gets his appetite back. If it cures him I'll put him back in the 55gal tank with the rest of my fish and I will watch all my fish carefully in case any of the other fish got exposed to the gill mites. If that happens I will call the company who makes the medication to see my options. The reason why I didn't use the medication on my 55gal tank is because the product states not to use on bottom feeders. I have 1 ancistrus pleco and 2 cloud loaches, both bottom feeders, and I don't want to risk it. I know my DelhezI is a bottom feeder but I don't know of any other product I could use that I can get quickly. The web said to use sterazin and octozin but it would take several days to get those in and I can already tell it is getting worse. I'll update on the results.

UglyAsian

Some fish lose color when they are stressed. I am surprised the Bichir did not kill its tank mates. They are pretty aggressive. I don't know much, but I agree with the people who say its gill mites.

Wayne Lamphere

Any updates on the treatment? Hope he is doing well

FishyDudeMan

Deleted by OP. Dupe post.

Attachments

• 20170820_144312_1.jpg
    20170820_144312_1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 61

FishyDudeMan

Wayne Lamphere Thanks for checking in. I put my DelhezI and one of my cloud loaches (his gills were bright red and my other cloud loach was not so I thought he might have gill mites too) into my quarantine tank and was lucky to have found 1 bottle of Fritz Aquatics Mardel Clout at a local fish store. I treated both fish for 4 days straight even though the instructions state normally only one treatment is needed since I saw clear signs of the problem still there after the first treatment. After the 4th day/treatment the white cloudy area on both of Delhezi's gills are minimal with just a pin **** of a hole from damage of the gill mites that I think is healing. I was afraid to treat for any longer since I had two of my cloud gold fish die (I treated them like a canary in a mind cave) so the DelhezI and the cloud loach are back in my main tank. The cloud loach's gills are much less red and I think they are both on their way to recovery. Surely the parasitic gill mites are gone after 4 treatments but I will keep a close eye. None of my other fish in the 55gal tank seem to be showing signs of gill mites. I'll keep you updated.

20170820_144312_1.jpg

Wayne Lamphere

Glad to here he is doing better ❤️

FishyDudeMan

It only took a day or two after placing my DelhezI back into my 55gal tank and one of his gills is back to being cloudy white while the other one seems fine. I am convinced there is a parasite in my main tank that is causing problems so I am going to treat my 55gal tank. I'll update.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AllieSten
Replies
Views
ryanr
Replies
Views
Exodus
Replies
Views