Requesting advice for new tank set up

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by LICfish, Apr 6, 2010.

1. LICfishWell Known MemberMember

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to the hobby but I've become so obsessed that I got two tanks within a matter of months :)

I'm planning to get the 50 gallon Seaclear acrylic tank (acrylic because I'm a fairly small person and it would be much lighter) with the Marineland Penguin Bio-wheel filters (I currently use them and really like how clear the water is). I'm moving my gouramis and tetras to this tank and plan to add blue rams and possibly discus (but since they're so expensive I haven't quite decided).

I would be grateful if anyone could advise me on how many filters I should get with what capacity. I have also not seen the Seaclear tanks in person so I'm not sure how the filter slots work either. I would truly appreciate any advise or insight.

Thank you.

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I have a seaclear acrylic tank (30g). The top is molded, but there's plenty of space for filters. I wanted one hole a little bigger, and my husband was easily able to cut it with a dremel without it compromising the integrity of the tank.
    With a tank that size, you may want to reconsider and get a canister filter. They are pricey, but so are 2 HOBs. They are really efficient, and you can use loose media of your choice.
    welcome to FL, and enjoy the forum. :)

3. OP
    OP
    L

LICfishWell Known MemberMember

Thank you

Thank you for your quick reply. Everyone on the forum has been great :)

I also considered the canister filters but the capacity, by that I mean the GHP, didn't seem to be different so I originally thought it would make a difference. Thank you for your advice. If it's a canister filter, would one that can filter at 250GHP be sufficient?

I'm still trying to grasp the difference between all these filters so if you have any recommendations for the canister also, I would be grateful.

Thanks again.

4. claudiclesWell Known MemberMember

I'm no expert but my take on canister v HOB is that while the flow rate (GPH) may be similar, the amount of filter media that the water goes through on a canister is decidedly larger than a HOB, giving potentially greater cleaning. If I look at the amount of stuff I wash out of my canister when I clean it there is no way that much would be caught in a HOB rated at the same flow rate.

I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to help more precisely though.

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm a big fan of the Aqua Clear (AC) hang on back (HOB) filters. An AC 110 w/500gph would do nicely for a 50G tank. Easy access to the filter media. I am currently running 7 of them on all of my tanks.

Keep in mind that when choosing a filter, you want the gallons per hour (GPH) to be 8 to 10 x the volume of the tank for HOB type filters. For canister filters, I suggest at least 5 to 8 x the tank volume for your GPH.

Have fun shopping and keep us posted!

Ken

6. OP
    OP
    L

Very helpful

Thank you everyone for your advice and replies. It's all very helpful. I now have a better idea of the different filters. I'll keep you posted. But first I gotta convince my boyfriend to get me the tank as a bday present :D

And apologies for the late response (due to my work blocking this site!)

7. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

Just curious as to why the acrylic tank. Not that I have any complaints, but you mentioned simply because it is not as heavy. lol It's not like you're going to be picking the tank up everyday so why worry?

I could understand the lighter weight tank if you were putting it in a second floor room or something, but a 50 gallon tank shouldn't pose any weight problems in that location anyway.

8. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

I have an AC110 and 70 on my 55g and they work great.

As for Discus being expensive but SO beautiful they are best to be kept as a species only tank as they require warmer water then most tropical fish, frequent water changes and need a well established tank before being introduced. I would love to have Discus myself someday.

9. OP
    OP
    L

Yeah I asked myself the same question. I guess the answer simply is that I like the acrylic tanks :) In addition to dealing with the weight during the additional set-up, I want to reduce the overall weight, not have to worry about leaks years down the line and I really like the acrylic tanks I currently have (although they scratch easy).

Yeah I've also read that they do better in species only tanks, in addition to other care they need. Which is why I'm now certain I'll wait till I have more experience and can give the time and attention necessary.

Thanks again everyone. Time to hunt for deals and coupons now!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  10. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

we like our acrylic 30g a lot. we got it so it would n't break with two little tornadoes living in the house.

a canister that filters 250 would be great. If you do HOBs, you want 500 gph filtration. AC is a really good brand, as mentioned above.

11. OP
    OP
    L

LOL. I know what you mean.

On the filters - I've taken all your advise and have started expanding my filter search.

12. OP
    OP
    L

Hi again everyone,

My sincere apologies for the incessant questions but I have one more.

My boyfriend got me all worried about the weight issue. I live on the 5th floor of a new apartment building. Since I don't know the details I'm concerned about the floor not being able to hold the weight of a 50 gallon tank and stand. I read other threads on this forum (in addition to a long article which didn't provide any definitive info), but many seem to be related only to individual houses. ???

I would really appreciate any advise or info on this. I've pasted below the tank and stand I am hoping to get.

Many thanks!

13. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Being that you are in a new apartment building (newly built) I would hope that the floors would be strong enough for a 50g tank. It's going to weigh around 600 pounds, depending on your substrate and decorations that you add.

I'm not a contractor/builder by any means so let's get some more responses.

Ken

14. OP
    OP
    L

Thank you. I think I managed to find the plan for the building which is mostly concrete so I hope it will be fine.

Finally going through with the purchase now :) Decided to get the Marineland H.O.T canister filter to go with the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice