Reptitile calcium substrate...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by monkeypie102, Nov 27, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

okay so I went EVERYWHERE home deopt, petsmart, lowes, walmart and my local gardening center... no one had any PFS or Diamond blasting sand... so I went to my LFS and he had Reptile Calcium sand... now I was wondering if I would be able to put it on as a cap for a dirted tank? It is pure white sand, 10lbs... I know it will raise the PH and I have IAL to counter that as well as Driftwood... but is it safe? This will be a cap for the Betta Imbellis tank I am doing... If it isn't safe I will switch up my plans and do a pebble substrate for the Betta's and use the calcium sand for the Ghost Shrimp tank I am doing today as well.. Thanks for the advice/help!!

2. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

The only store that I know of that has the Diamond Sandblasting Sand is Tractor Supply. I have the black in my tanks. It's awesome!

If you have one near you, I'd highly suggest that. I have 2 live plants in my 75 Gallon fish tank and they are doing very well.

As far as Reptile Calcium Sand, I don't even use that for my Crested Geckos much less any fish tanks. Others might have other opinions, but that is mine.

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

I don't use it for my reptiles either but idk lol... I mean I guess I could test it out, I am not getting the bettas for a while I could maybe buy some guppies and test it on them... if they live my brother will take them, as I find them annoying... it says it is Calcium Carbonate made from Aragonite, not sure what that is but yeah.

4. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Oh, Calcium Carbonate is supposedly good for Saltwater Coral, from what I've heard. Maybe that would be okay.

5. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

... well I assumed it could be good for snails/shrimp because its calcium based (or am I wrong in assuming that) Also this is freshwater (but i assume you knew that)... like I said I will test it out... the water has to cycle anyways so it will give me time to test PH and such to see if it will do to much damage or not...

6. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Keep us updated. I'd like to know myself how that goes.

7. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

The links in my siggy are the 2 tanks I am working on today ;) I keep almost daily posts there!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice