Reptiles, Amphibians, And Inverts That Don't Need Live Food?

1. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

I was thinking pacman frog, because they can eat commercial pacman frog food, and freeze dried food. The people said not to do it? I am looking for some inverts,amphibians, or reptiles that don't need live foods. I also can't feed mice. I am looking into gerbils, but am also looking at other things

2. Triston Wasmund

Triston Wasmund Well Known Member Member

Turtle...

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Pacman should really be fed pinkie mice when they get larger, it's really healthier for them.

Hermit crabs do not eat live foods, but they eat similar to humans. Contact me by PM if you want more info, plus caretaking.

4. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

If you have a large space you could try something like an iguana or a smaller tortoise species. Uromastyx don't need live food and they get around the size of a bearded dragon. You could always do African Dwarf or African Clawed frogs, or axolotls. Some cool inverts would be hermit crabs, a colony of shrimp, or hissing cockroaches (not pest cockroaches)

Also, are you okay with feeding pre killed frozen thawed mice? It would open up a lot of options.

5. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

No mice. :( My mom hates that stuff. I am using a 40 breeder

6. FlipFlopFishFlake

Okay, then definitely no iguanas or tortises lol:p The uromastyx might be ok in that size, though it is debated. All of the other ones I listed are okay though. Another one I remembered is musk turtles. They can do well in a 40 gallon and only grow like 4 inches or so.

7. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I personally would reccomend against hermit crabs, they can be an expensivish investment (and not very interactive, but prepared to see an empty tank for months on end and nocturnal creatures....)

Have you looked into crabs? like fiddlers, moon or halloween crabs and whatnot? Maybe a 'nano' tank with thai micro crabs, fw shrimp, fw mussels and what not?

Axoltol? ADF (with target feedings?)... not really an invert, but mudskippers? Snails (either aquatic or terrestrial) (rabbit snails are cool!)? Crayfish? Maybe a reef tank?

8. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

I agree with the above post, dont get hermit crabs (this is just my opinion) they are messy and grumpy, be prepared to literally never see them. It would make a lot more use of your tank to get something other than hermit crabs, plus they live forever

9. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

The tank has holes, so only dry stuff. Halfway filled is okay

10. FlipFlopFishFlake

Musk turtles are okay a few inches of water anyway.

11. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Not in a 40 gallon, but crested geckos do not require live food (even though they appreciate it). They can have the Pangea Complete.

Not in a breeder, I mean.

12. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Yes they can... A 40 gallon is a LOT of space.

13. MrBrackishGuy

MrBrackishGuy Valued Member Member

Well you COULD fit a crestie in a 40, but they wouldn’t really thrive because being arboreal species, they prefer an abundance of vertical space for climbing. And I do mean tall. Generally, aquariums built for fish are not suitable for arboreal lizards.

14. FlipFlopFishFlake

You could try converting it to a vertical setup, though that is a lot of work to do so.

15. emmysjj

Maybe you could split it in half and house 2 JUVINILES.

16. Triston Wasmund

Triston Wasmund Well Known Member Member

If you are going to get a crested gecko, and you are doing it with a 40 gallon, you NEED to make it a 40 gallon tall. These guys like their space, and do NOT dwell on the ground. Let me know what you are trying to do with these guys. I have ALOT of experience with reptiles so if you have ANY questions please do me a favor and ask me! Let me know.

Please do not get anything if can wait, and tell us how your set up is going to be. I am only trying to help you for your sake, and the animals. :)

17. emmysjj

I agree. There are rodents that can live in a 40 gallon breeder though (hamsters and mice). If you end up doing rodents let me know! Good luck!