Reptile Wood ...

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I was at my pet store today and was looking for a nice piece of wood ... again. I have looked many times before and they never had anything nice. Today was the same - no interesting pieces of driftwood for my tank, and ugly colors! However, they had REALLY nice pieces of wood ... only they were for reptiles. But it IS wood nevertheless. Do you think there is a significant difference between driftwood and reptile wood? Would it be safe to use a reptile wood in my tank? (Of course after a lot of soaking and boiling, utill it's ready). Would that reptile wood have some adverse effects on my water pH?

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The only downside I can see is that some reptile wood is sprayed with a chemical for mites or some such insect that bothers some reptiles. I would ask in the pet dept if it has been treated with any chemicals. If it's prepackaged the the package should say so.
    I love the way grapevines look dried(they are used in reptile cages) and they are treated for insects.
    So I can't use any from the store, but Georgia Winery is right down the road from us and since they don't use chemicals on their vines I thought about getting some and try to dry it. Just as an experiment. you know? Sorry rambling again ;)
    Carol

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Those pieces of wood for reptiles didn't have any tags on them. So I don't know anything about them except for the fact that they look nice, lol. But I will ask at the store whether the wood was sprayed with any chemicals. Do you think they'll know exactly what this wood is sprayed with (if of course sprayed with anything)? If it is ... that will be unfortunate for me again. I'll never find any nice wood for my tank :( And I don't really like ordering online. I like to see what I am buying at the place and at the time of the purchase.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Hang in there and you will find the perfect piece. Check with the store on the one you found and maybe it hasn't been sprayed. Good Luck!!!!
    Carol

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

Wood looks really good in an aquarium but over here it was just too expensive cost more than my tank its like $120 for a piece of good driftwood.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

WOW!! J-man didn't realize it was that expensive. Have a friend who lives in Australia(you are in Australia right?) and just didn't realize it was that expensive. He has beautiful aquariums.
    Carol

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm ... that reptile wood, and all the ugly driftwoods in my pet store, all ranged from 20 to 30 dollars in price. Does that mean they're bad quality? I have seen some expensive pieces on the internet as well, but never anything like 120$ in my pet store. But I would even pay 120$, if I found the piece that I want. And I don't want to buy anything online. I have to see the item I am buying at the time and place of purchase.

8. Jason Well Known Member Member

Nah I dont think they're bad quality its just different places charge different prices and here they're expensive, same goes fo fish.