Reptile tank? 10 Gallon Tank

1. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

My birthday is next monday some im going to get money. I need to buy filter media and etc but I have my 10 gallon all cleaned out and dried.I want to start keeping some kind of reptile.I want some kind of lizard or something of that nature.Does anyone have good suggestions for something that is easy to care and is nice to enough to hold it.

2. S

SJ408 New Member Member

Why not some gecko lizards?:)

3. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

What about a corn snake? They are cheap (if you can catch one, which I don't think you can up there, they are super cheap lol) and very tame. A 10 gallon is a decent size for one, granted it can get out and move around a few times a day.

4. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

I dont think my mother would be pleased with a snake lol
    but I can catch grass snakes lol

5. Akari_32

We've got corns, legless lizards..... burmese pythons.... :p

6. S

SJ408 New Member Member

Haha snakes are pretty cool though(x

7. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

if they stay in the tank lol

8. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

leopard geckos are the best lizards other than a bearded dragon and one one be happy in a 10.

9. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

I did some reasearch what about a green anole there very cheap but I dont know if theyll be good in a 10 gal.

10. Akari_32

You can catch those here, too LOL Its funny that they sell them in stores here XD

I'm not sure how big they get. I've seen 6-8 inches at PetSmart, so I'd say a 10 gallon would be too small.

11. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

12. Akari_32

Heres some more on those http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com/content/species/panther-gecko.asp

Super cute. If you can get one (and NOT house it on calcium sand!!), I think you'd be very happy with one. Since Geckos do not require UV and are very docile, this should be a good first time reptile owner pet :)

Howeverrrrrr, I'd look up ReptiCon, and see when the next show closest to you is, and buy one from there. It'd be more expensive, but you'll be supporting some one who is breeding for the love of breeding, and to make money (or taking them from the wild) ;)

13. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Ahem, akari WHAT MAKES YOU THINK A CORN SNAKE IS GOOD IN A 10GAL! :D Ok, im good. No a corn wouldnt do in a 10 anyways. Leopard geckos are in the bare minimum with a 10gal. 20 is preferred. Bearded dragons get way too big. Really, i think anoles do ok in a 10gallon imo. You need to do a ton of research before you purchase any animal. Proper setup and supplies. Be sure you have a local vet that can handle reptiles, dont just assume, make sure, ask questions.

You could go with a scorp or a tarantula? There arnt any snakes beside a male Kenyan sand boa that would do well in a 10gallon, maybe just MAYBE a certain species of skink, but i cant remember the name and i know its a higher level reptile.
    http://geckoforums.net/index.php
    Reptile forum for you, if you join up they can give you all your options and info as well.

Kenyan sand boas are generally nice animals, the male may get around 9-17" at the most, though 12" is much ore likley. Females get....large. Corn snakes, like most other colubrids get much too big for a 10gal or are too active, with the exception of certain small king snakes.

Anoles need heat lamps, humidity sources, UVB lighting to help manufacture D3 and supplements for their diet, a diet of meal worms and crickets or dubia roaches normally do nicely. In general, reptile set ups do cost more then fish setups just from my experience.

Leopard geckos require Heat pads, surface probe thermometers, dimmer switches to control said heating pad, vitamin, calcium and D3 supplements(or rephashys cal+). They require humid and dry hides. Lighting is optional, and less preferred by them.

Make sure you learn about the social habits and such, avoid putting 2 male anoles in one tank, for obvious reasons, same goes for many geckos and lizards including leos.

For corn snakes btw, 29gal or 2.5ft tank bare minimum if you ask me, they are large active snakes. I have a cousin called the grey banded kingsnake, at 4ft and growing, she needed her 29. Corns can get up to 4-6 feet easily.

Edit: id also like to add, when you go out to buy a substrate for the tank, Sand is not ok, the petstore employees are wrong, trust me. Calci-sand and repti-sand and Vita-sand, are worse then regular sand. The best substrate for lizards in general is going to be slate tile and paper towels.

Heres a milii(panther gecko) care sheet, written by one of the best breeders in the business
    http://www.goldengategeckos.com/carethicktail.pdf

Here is her site, she ay have some for sale
    http://www.goldengategeckos.com/available.html

Looks like she only has some levis left from last season, also, milii are correctly called knob tails, they belong to a group, levis are also knobs.

14. allaboutfish

I wasnt sayi.g a bearded dragon would be ok. trust me i have one. its in a custom mad enclosure bigger than the minimum. i was saying 1 leopard gecko would be ok.

15. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

That's alot of stuff to get lol what would be the basic stuff I would need first I have a lamp for heat I need a bulb though

16. allaboutfish

what are you getting? different reptiles need different things. leopard geckos dont even need a light.

17. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

I would think the gecko's are cheaper to keep but idk.Anoles are very cheap so maybe them the just need more care. Im debating with myslef

18. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Let me put it simple for lighting and heat

Leos, heat matt

Anoles, heat lamp and UVB lighting. You need both.

Btw, the things i posted before, they were the absolute basics

Anole-
    UVB light
    Heat lamp
    Thermometer
    caves and decor
    Tight fitting mesh lid with locks(cheap)
    Clamp to hold both lights off the mesh
    Suppliment powder
    Feeders(live food)
    Misting

Leos
    Heat pad
    regulator for said pad
    Surface thermometer
    3 hides, 1 humid, 1 cool and 1 warm
    Something to climb about on.
    3 suppliments. Vitamins, Calcium(pure) and Calcium with D3. OR you can just get Rephashy Cal+ Which is a 3 in 1. I reccomend nothing but it.
    lid that fits.

Those are bear essentials. Leos will eat more then anoles, maybe 12-14 crickets a week,or 10-30 meal worms, or 8-15 super worms.
    They do generally stop eating every now and then, which is a relax time for the wallet.

Leos can be handled to some extent, anoles are a look dont touch. For their saftey and yours.
    Leos are more easily treated via vet, anoles get sick and its normally game over.

Both are great pets and deserve a well educated home.

19. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

So it sounds to me the the leo seem easier to keep and a need to buy less stuff im going to look into all this stuff thanks.

20. Akari_32

Reptiles are expensive ;)

I've got over $300 in Rex, and he *still* costs me another $70 at the least each year @.@