Reptile Tank As Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Gillis6, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Gillis6

Gillis6New MemberMember

One of my friends is currently offering me a 40 gallon reptile tank he got from Petco a couple years ago. I want to know if this could hold water and be used as an aquarium. I'm going to find out if it's sealed and I might put water in it later and see if it leaks. 20170717_151601.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

I don't recommend it. The tanks meant for reptiles have thinner glass and less sealant. They're more likely to fail with the pressure of water inside it.

3. OP
    OP
    Gillis6

Gillis6New MemberMember

just found out that the glass thickness is approximately 6mm which i've read is the same thickness for an aquarium this size. I think it could just be an aquarium.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  4. Aquaphobia

Double check that it's made of the right kind of glass. You don't want to find out it's not strong enough when it's full of water!

5. OP
    OP
    Gillis6

Gillis6New MemberMember

What's the right kind of glass?

6. Aquaphobia

Not actually sure... Better wait for someone who actually knows vs me who has only heard rumours!:cool:

7. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I personally wouldnt risk it.

8. Deaddawg

DeaddawgValued MemberMember

Look for the manufacturer name on the sticker on the bottom. Fill it up outside and leave it for a week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice