Reptile light for Planted tank?

Force

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wonder if Zoo meds reptile lights can be used for my planted tank?

If so, can you tell me a product of theirs that would work?

My tank is 29 gallon. My highest light plant is pogostemon helferi. Thanks!

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are you thinking about the reptile lights that are meant to give off heat? I would not be inclined to use those on an aquarium for fear of temperature fluctuations and potentially melting nearby plastic like the filter or aquarium lid/hood/rim. I don't know much about reptile lights, but I would assume that those lights often aren't in the correct wavelength or color temperature to be suitable for aquarium plants.

Is there a reason you specifically want a reptile light? If money is the issue (I don't even know if reptile lights are cheaper than aquarium lights), there are many cheap but very effective aquarium lights on eBay and Amazon - LED Aquarium Lights. I have these and I love them. If it's because you like the style of them, you'd probably have no problem taking one of those dome-shaped reptile lamps and switching out the bulb for a plant-friendly one.

Force

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SM1199 said:
Are you thinking about the reptile lights that are meant to give off heat? I would not be inclined to use those on an aquarium for fear of temperature fluctuations and potentially melting nearby plastic like the filter or aquarium lid/hood/rim. I don't know much about reptile lights, but I would assume that those lights often aren't in the correct wavelength or color temperature to be suitable for aquarium plants.

Is there a reason you specifically want a reptile light? If money is the issue (I don't even know if reptile lights are cheaper than aquarium lights), there are many cheap but very effective aquarium lights on eBay and Amazon - LED Aquarium Lights. I have these and I love them. If it's because you like the style of them, you'd probably have no problem taking one of those dome-shaped reptile lamps and switching out the bulb for a plant-friendly one.
It’s the money. Can you recommend me some planted aquarium lights that are less then 100 dollars and suitable for a 29 gallon. Length is 30.5 inches.

Indianasfishkeeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Force said:
It’s the money. Can you recommend me some planted aquarium lights that are less then 100 dollars and suitable for a 29 gallon. Length is 30.5 inches.
Just go to lowes and look for a small shop light most of them run around 40.00 and have a output of atleast 5000 lumens plenty enough to grow plants

I have about 45 dollars invested in 4 4ft led shop lights from.menards for my 150 gallon planted tank and my planta thrive even my red plants are a deep red and I don't run c02 either

Attachments

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you go to the link I posted, a light that fits 30"-38" tanks is about $30. Definitely worth checking out, I love mine.

I like shop lights too, but you might have trouble finding ones that are about 30 inches long to fit your tank.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads